Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When is it necessary to get the heads O-ringed?

Is it only for a supercharger, and do you even HAVE to have on with a blower? I have heard mixed feedback? :confused:

Thanks

PS:Want to get TFS Twisted Wedge, but only 50/50 on doing a supercharger in a year or so.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
First of all, do not confuse O ringing the heads, or block with the receiver grooves used for the Felpro Lock wire gaskets. They are not the same. If you go with the Felpro lock wires, that is the only gasket you can use. And they are not cheap. With O ringing a bolck or head, a groove is cut in the sealing surface and a stainless steel wire is installed in the groove. You can use almost any type gasket with an O ringed surface. I've used both on supercharged motors, and blew the ring lands out of a set of TRW forgings. If I had used a regular head hasket, I feel the gasket would have let go first and saved the pistons.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im not following a whole lot, but 2 sources have told me this..

Source 1.."dont get it because it's better to blow a gasket than a piston"(I dont know what this has to do with anything, but it sounds similar to what you are saying)

Source 2..."dont because O-rings leak coolant in many cases.....I have run up to 20 PSI without o-ringing...."

It costs more to do it so if I dont need it, I wont do it.
Thanks..

Any other input?

·
Registered
124 Posts
I wouldn't suggest it. A shop was going to O-ring some TFS heads for me for $150 but I'm sure it would need a new bottom end at some point after all the detonating I've done. Head gaskets are a lot easier and cheaper to replace than pistons and rods. If you detonate you have random, untimed energy in your chamber that WILL escape...either through the gasket or piston or heads or whatever it decides to goes through. You'd rather it blow out a gasket and keep leave your pistons and heads alone.

With that '94 hyperpathetic piston deal you're going to want to be as problem free as possible. Aluminum heads will absorb some detonation so if you do those with a decent gasket you probably will be okay, just DON't detonate. If you start popping on those pistons you may have a problem. Just keep a good custom tune, don't screw with an FMU is you want ultimate safety, and pay attention to what's going on. Listen to your engine...it'll tell ya when it's pinging. Good luck. =)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts