Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i recently got a very good deal on some aluminum heads.
they appear to have a groove for an o-ringed headgasket, but i don't have any experience with them. how deep is the groove? do i have to buy the $97 ea. head gaskets?
note my handle, i'm a cheapazz!
even with these heads, my ride probably won't make 300hp.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Doesn't the block have to be o-ringed too? I've no experience with this just thought it did and now I'm curious...

jgp

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
from what i have read while searching this forum on the subject, i gathered that either the head could be cut OR the block could be cut OR both.

if this is wrong, please tell me before i screw something up!

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Buy the TFS oring gasket kit. It's like $100, and comes with intake, header, and the oringed head gaskets. I can't believe more people do this, than but $200 headgaskets, and they are the same. Fel-pro makes all the gaskets in the TFS kit.

Later, Greg(XSR)

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
badboss,
that's more like it!
where can i find that kit?
summit?
parts store?

btw, my block doesn't need to be cut, right?!?

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
Not to hijack your thread hear cheapracer. i was just reading it and noticed yoru signature. Ihave a very simalar set up in my car at the moment. I have a best of 14.5 @ 92 mph. my biggest differences from youre set up are that I have a B cam ( am goign to switch to the E though) and I run a 600 vacume secondaries. I stil have a.c. and power steering. I run 3.27 gears but going to switch to 3.55's. I have traction problems that I am going to rectify via some Micky Thompson E.T. streets or mabee even full blown slicks. I'll be swapping heads soon my self looking for some more horse power. I also want to get my breathing as free as possible as I will be adding a 650 dbl pumper soon along with a supercharger.

·
Registered
17,637 Posts
You really need to measure the diameter of the groove that is in the head.
There was no standard diameter back a few years ago when there was no "off the shelf" gasket made.
There were plenty of shops that had their "own standard diameter". but did not necessarily mean that they were centered over the bore of the block, because on some blocks, the bores were offset so that they could be bored out to
as large as a diameter as possible......
or,
the head was positioned offset towards the intake manifold so the valves would not hit the bore..........

i hate to make things sound more complicated.

·
Registered
17,637 Posts
.....you did not say what brand or model of head you bought..
......the cheapass people allways end up spending more money to re-do something.........

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the outer diameter of the groove is 4.300"
the inner diameter of the groove is 4.145"
measured with a caliper
the heads may have come off a motor that was bored to a 306?
will that be a problem?
the heads are brodix STR 1.94/1.60
i looked them up on the brodix site, it didn't say anything about o-ring grooves. perhaps they were grooved somewhere else.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Kato Engineering said:
......the cheapass people allways end up spending more money to re-do something.........
that's why i'm talking the corralers first. to get my ducks in a row before tearing the motor apart.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Badboss351 said:
Buy the TFS oring gasket kit. It's like $100, and comes with intake, header, and the oringed head gaskets. I can't believe more people do this, than but $200 headgaskets, and they are the same. Fel-pro makes all the gaskets in the TFS kit.
where can i aquire this kit?

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Just about any high performance parts store, that carry's TFS product's. Summit, and a bunch of place's in MM&FF. I deal alot with Pro Power in Florida, and they are great to do business with. If you call them, ask for TK, and tell him Greg from XSRcylinderheads sent you.

Later, Greg(XSR)

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
you get the trick flow kit from summit for 120 dollars.the gaskets cost 60.00 each if you buy just the head gaskets.be sure you order the trickflow gasket kit for o-ring heads because they offer one with out o-ring gaskets

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Personally, I hate o-ringed heads. Good thing about aluminum its weldable. Weld them up and have them surfaced flat.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Is it just a standard 5.0 top end gasket kit or do i need the part #'s

what is the part # for the TFS kit?

what is the part # for the trickflow kit?

Personally, I hate o-ringed heads. Good thing about aluminum its weldable. Weld them up and have them surfaced flat.
it's not that i was looking for o-ringed heads, these were just too good of a deal to pass up. <10k mi. $200. with the rockers and pushrods

·
Registered
251 Posts
Mustangs Unlimited has the kit and almost always keep tons of them in stock.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thanks to all with the helpful info:D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts