Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have orderd a Maganflow O/R Xpipe for my '99 and plan on installing this weekend ... In Bob C's article on istalling an Xpipe, he mentionsa metal gasket on the passenger side must be installed to alleviate leaks.

Question ----- is that gasket already on the current "h" pipe, or is this something I will need to purchase ?

Thanks in advance !

·
Registered
627 Posts
The metal gasket comes with the factory H pipe, but it would be wise to buy a new one from the Ford dealership. They cost about $6 a piece, it's good to have before hand in case the original breaks. Most dealerships don't have them on hand, which is why you should go get one now. It's not likely the original will break but you never know.
You can also check out Joe Lynch's write up on the X pipe install on his page:
http://www.lx.net/jlynch/bassani.htm

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks !!

I'll get one from AutoZone just in case ...

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Good notes by Joe Lynch...

Only things I'd add are:

You may need to use some liquid wrench or WD-40 on the stock exhaust manifold nuts since your car is a few years old.

I also needed a U-joint to get to the lower passenger side nut.

Use 6 pt. or "side contacting" 15mm deep or semi-deep on these nuts, and be careful not to strip.

Disconnect the battery since you will be working near the starter!

Good luck!

·
Registered
55 Posts
The passenger side can be a real pain the first time you do it. I found it much easier using a 1/2 Ratchet 1/2 extension and 1/2 Swivel/U-joint. There was much less flex than the 3/8 Drive and it made things much easier. As mentioned above you have to have a semi-deep 15mm socket. If it's too deep it want fit I would have several sizes already available. I reused my stock gasket. It shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For those that did their own, did you have to jack up all 4 corners, or can you get away with just ramping up the front of the car ?

Thanks again for all the tips ..especially the battery ....

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I had only the front up for the x pipe install. I rarely like to get a car up off all four corners and then get under the car.

·
Registered
627 Posts
When I swap the pipes out I just jack up the front.
The first time I did it, I had the rear tires on ramps and the front end supported by jack stands. LOTS of room that way. :cool:

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good deal .... Just received the Magnaflow last night ...... It will be going on this weekend if I get the MILs from DallasMustang this week .....

Piece looks great ..... very high quality .... I was a little concerned at first when I ordered over the Bassani .... Not anymore though ....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Why wait for the MIL eliminators to put it on?

My CE light didn't come on for about 100 miles after Hedman fabricated and installed my OR X pipe, and when the MIL eliminators did come, it was 5 minutes under the car to install them....

Get ready, the car gets real loud without its cats. What kind of mufflers do you have??

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I currently have the Bassani cat back system ...... very pleased with it ... love the sound ..... :evilgrin:

Good point on the MILs .... I called Mustang Supply ..they said they went out Monday ...should have them today .... If I don't have by weekend, I may do as you have suggested ...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts