Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
HNY to all..

It's been a few days I've been reading and looking at reviews on this brand and these models- mostly on the Nitto site
-You just can not come to a conclusion - so many different opinion and we're talking from one extreme to the other on the same tire and basically same powered cars..
Many Mustang owner reviews some other muscle cars..Dodge Corvettes etc..
In all the 3 models I've read reviews saying complete junk and will never buy again, can't hook and others saying amazing performance and sticky traction at the track.. I noticed some reviews were buyers fault, as in buying NT555 instead of NT555R and complaining the track traction sucked..
Some reviews claiming the 555RII as a great performance street traction tire and great lateral performance tire.. Other saying they're a life hazard and have no grip.
Lots of reviews though from some Mustang owners loving the NT05 as a street performer and curvy road trip tire and of course the opposite from other car owners.

Not partial to Nitto btw. I am also liking the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500..

I'm looking to see what most guys here will suggest.

The car:
1992GT ~ 500bhp . It will be dyno tuned in the spring - haven't really driven it properly since its been rebeing built the last 5 years (loooong story )
MM suspension:. MM PH bar, MMLCA, MM Full Length SFC

Driving Profile:
No track. Very very unlikely.
No intention of driving in the rain ever. Not a DD car at all. .
Basically I have a sweet ride that I like to drive mostly at night out of traffic hours, or an early weekend morning ride. Have some fun on curvy roads and highways.. I like WOT driving..
Hard accelerations and enjoying the 8 cylinder/blower GT experience...

From what I have read..It seems the NT05 may be best...(minus rain, which would not be the case.) However.. I will drive the car up to the colder months until snow or storage arrives - so that's until Nov 30th.

Thanks for your advice and best wishes in 2022.

·
Registered
'90 Windveil Blue LX (Dart Turbo T56)
8,312 Posts
Driving Profile:
No track. Very very unlikely.
No intention of driving in the rain ever. Not a DD car at all. .
Basically I have a sweet ride that I like to drive mostly at night out of traffic hours, or an early weekend morning ride. Have some fun on curvy roads and highways.. I like WOT driving..
Hard accelerations and enjoying the 8 cylinder/blower GT experience...

From what I have read..It seems the NT05 may be best...(minus rain, which would not be the case.) However.. I will drive the car up to the colder months until snow or storage arrives - so that's until Nov 30th.
i love my NT05s, and they aren't bad in the rain if you just take it easy.

·
Registered
226 Posts
What size tire? So I have 555r on my 87 and just put on 05r on my 89 the 05r seems to be better. I’m interested in 555rII since they come in 245/45 17

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What size tire? So I have 555r on my 87 and just put on 05r on my 89 the 05r seems to be better. I’m interested in 555rII since they come in 245/45 17
Oh yes sorry forgot to mention my tire size..

Presently on the car
275/40/17 17x9
and
235/45/17 17x8

Was reading I can go better with 255/40/17 next for the front.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i love my NT05s, and they aren't bad in the rain if you just take it easy.
I think these had the best reviews from a wide range of people.. mostly street and carving roads.. I know rubber duration may not be best.. As for rain.. I don't drive in the rain at all.. I mean, there's no reason for me to.. But yes can I get caught in a rainfall unexpectedly doing a cruise, for sure. Let's just say I look at the forecast way before I take a drive with it. What concerns me a little more is colder dryer temps...cold asphalt roads in the late fall...but I do adjust my driving accordingly I have no problem with that..

·
Registered
2000 Mustang GT
328 Posts
500hp and a stick? Ugh. Similar to what I have with 3.73 gears. What do you have for coils and shocks/struts?

The G2's are useless in first and second. Heck even when the power hits in 3rd when it's colder than 55 or so they will break loose. I had the NT05R in 315/35-17 last summer and they wouldn't hook in first but would spin a little then grab in second so that was good enough.
This summer I want to try a Mickey Thompson drag radial in 275/40 and run a 17x9, or a 275/50-15.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Hoosier QTP bias ply or bust. Anything else will be a struggle in a 500rwhp fox.

Et street R if you have to run a radial... but even they will be a compromise.

My car is a little over 500 and as boost ramps in it will still break the QTP's loose well north of 100 plus.

I couldn't imagine even trying a nitto compound tire..DEADLY.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
500hp and a stick? Ugh. Similar to what I have with 3.73 gears. What do you have for coils and shocks/struts?

The G2's are useless in first and second. Heck even when the power hits in 3rd when it's colder than 55 or so they will break loose. I had the NT05R in 315/35-17 last summer and they wouldn't hook in first but would spin a little then grab in second so that was good enough.
This summer I want to try a Mickey Thompson drag radial in 275/40 and run a 17x9, or a 275/50-15.
Yes ..forgot to mention that too.. Geezz.
So yes Manual
shocks struts I have Tokico Illuminas..
Eibach lowering springs Iif I recall theyre are C rate.
I might change these though.. Looking atthe H&R from MM..
and for gears.. 3:73

Ya the MT are a little pricey here in Canada, almost double the Nitto.
So I have to be reserved a tad

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hoosier QTP bias ply or bust. Anything else will be a struggle in a 500rwhp fox.

Et street R if you have to run a radial... but even they will be a compromise.

My car is a little over 500 and as boost ramps in it will still break the QTP's loose well north of 100 plus.

I couldn't imagine even trying a nitto compound tire..DEADLY.
I hear you... I ll consider that info seriously. Thank you

·
Registered
226 Posts
Rear springs will also make a day and night difference also….. but when it comes to 500 hp tire compound needs to be up to task.
Just finished the turbo build and I’m thinking I should start looking elsewhere besides Nitto for tires.
I like the nitto and how they wear, but as the power level has increased, I want the power to the ground. More power = More maintenance!!!

·
Registered
464 Posts
I have a 94 with approximately 600 rwhp and the NT 05's. They corner nicely but I can't get rear traction at all, annihialates the tires through 3rd and quite unsafe feeling. I've been going through every tire review known to man, think I've settled on the Toyo Proxes r888r.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I have experience with the Nitto 555 RII drag radials. In my opinion they are the best drag radials on the market if you do a lot of street driving. They'll hook with 900 rwhp. On my mostly stock GT350 they hook in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd amazingly. The plus for me on the RII's is the stiff sidewall which gives them better handling than other drag radials. People have run the Nitto RII's on Porsche GT3 RS's with good result's on the street. Michelin PS4, or PS4S are outstanding tires but you'll have trouble finding them in 17 inch sizes and they don't hook as well as the other tires, they are more like the Nitto G2's. The Toyo R888R are some of the best race/street tires on the market, but the Nitto 555 RII hooks better.

With that said, the Michelin's, Toyo R888R's, and Nitto 555 RII's all suck in concerns with catching nails, and not having a long tread life. This is due to the soft compound. The Nitto G2's have a harder compound than all the other tires mentioned including the Michelin's, have a longer tread life, and won't pick up nails as bad as all the others. The only problem is the G2's don't really hook that great, but they are a true street tire.

I personally don't care for the Mickey Thompsons as the sidewalls are too flexible and will wobble at high speeds. They are more for the drag race minded person who has no sway bars, and sloppy suspension. If that's you, then you can get those as actually driving your car is not a concern. The Mickey Thompsons are also a better option for cars with 15, 16, and 17 inch wheel sizes. For most Fox Body's Mickey Thompson is going to be the tire of choice if you only drag race your car.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
RII from what I ve read...seems to be good choice but G2s for the stiffer side wall...
Well I'm beginning to eliminate the obvious wrong tires...
Well..I have the car for about 5 years and I've barely driven as it's full potential..its been in the garage 90% of the time...right now it's got Falkens FK452's a discontinued tire actually..Can't be worse than anythjng Nitto makes or what recommended here..
They're so bad the mechanic couldn't even do a pull on the street to tune the car modestly after putting on the new chip..this was end of November..so asphalt was dry but like ice...Can't wait til spring...

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have a 94 with approximately 600 rwhp and the NT 05's. They corner nicely but I can't get rear traction at all, annihialates the tires through 3rd and quite unsafe feeling. I've been going through every tire review known to man, think I've settled on the Toyo Proxes r888r.
Ya I saw those 888...look amazing..very good reviews....If I recall..they were also near $400 a tire up here...I ll double check though.

·
Registered
2000 Mustang GT
328 Posts
Anyone know if the RII is the same compound as the R888R with Nitto being part of Toyo?

·
Registered
226 Posts
^ I would guess no, now if you look at the Nt01 I’d say probably
I’d personally would give up a little traction for a stiffer sidewall, just on my driving style. R888r might be worth looking at, I’m looking at 245/45 17 and it’s looking narrow . I’m not caring to put 275/45 on a 8” rim.

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
than your QTPs are either old and dry rotted,

not up to temp (more than likely the case) or

your car needs some attention in the suspension department

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
Oh yes sorry forgot to mention my tire size..

Presently on the car
275/40/17 17x9
and
235/45/17 17x8

Was reading I can go better with 255/40/17 next for the front.
there's a reason why tire companies have a sizing guide

front
17x8
235/45R17

rear
17x9
255/40ZR17

for reference i'm runing 245/40/18 for the front (8.5 wheel), and 285/35/18 for the rear (10.0 wheel) and the fit is absolutely perfect. performance wise NT05s are awesome.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
there's a reason why tire companies have a sizing guide

front
17x8
235/45R17

rear
17x9
255/40ZR17

for reference i'm runing 245/40/18 for the front (8.5 wheel), and 285/35/18 for the rear (10.0 wheel) and the fit is absolutely perfect. performance wise NT05s are awesome.
Would an 10.0 wheel and 285 require rolling fenders and so fourth..

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
yes but the eastwood fender roller is now like $100 shipped, there's a used one currently on ebay for $75 shipped, or maybe find someone who can rent you one in your neck of the woods.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts