Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I pulled the engine/trans from the 83 my sister owned since 85... She drove the car until the late 90's until she said it went " KABOOM, knocka knocka knocka....... She stored the car until I got it a month or so ago.....

I did try to start it about 10 years ago and it acted like it was locked up...

I have an Explorer 302 ( at the machine shop as I type this) so I will update this car with a roller cam motor and GT40P heads, and hopefully a TKX..... So this engine is not important,but I was curious of what happened to it....

So I have taken it apart, and while turning a wrench the engine turned over which made me think " not locked up too bad'?? .. I have the pan, intake, and valve covers off and I can't see one thing wrong with this???? NOT planning on removing heads as I just want to push this engine over to a corner and mothball it....
I am beginning to suspect the Transmission ( SROD 4 speed) or even the 7.5" rear??????

Any thoughts on here?

·
Registered
25,594 Posts
push it to the corner, like you say

Reactions: 96pushrod

·
Registered
974 Posts
I tried to connect telepathically with the engine and transmission in hopes I might be able to help you diagnose the problem. Just wasn't able to connect, go figure!

Jay

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Yeah, you're going to have to do more than pull the pan. Pull some rod caps. Pull a main cap or two. Look for rods that are darker than the rest, that would be a good indication of a spun bearing. Nobody can just look at the outside of an engine and be like "ah ha!" and tell you what's wrong. Just because it's not locked up doesn't mean there aren't any rod bearings that are FUBAR. I've taken apart plenty of engines with spun bearings that would still turn with a wrench.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Could be
Yeah, you're going to have to do more than pull the pan. Pull some rod caps. Pull a main cap or two. Look for rods that are darker than the rest, that would be a good indication of a spun bearing. Nobody can just look at the outside of an engine and be like "ah ha!" and tell you what's wrong. Just because it's not locked up doesn't mean there aren't any rod bearings that are FUBAR. I've taken apart plenty of engines with spun bearings that would still turn with a wrench.
I thought this site was a lot more helpful? 😁

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
If you can tell an engine is toast from the outside, there are probably internal parts that made their way out lol.

Reactions: willyt

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you can tell an engine is toast from the outside, there are probably internal parts that made their way out lol.
Ok, so when it supposedly blew up it made a loud BANG and started knocking.. I always assumed it was a broken rod or something obvious...

Looked at it from the outside?? The only thing left on it is the heads... Sure, the next step would be to remove heads, and check rod and main bearings, I agree...

I will be looking at the transmission and the rear end a little more closely now....

·
Registered
835 Posts
You felt that enough was wrong to remove engine and transmission, so you are already on that path of diagnosis, not see if it will run.
You suggested pushing it into a corner, indy2000 suggested the same. As for name calling, indy2000 could have a white board next to him that he keeps score of names he gets called per day. I will agree with him since he's Canadian.
You used many question marks but there was not really any question being asked except the last line. Your question...could it be the transmission or rear end?
How would you like the members of this forum to help? We can't see anything wrong with engine or transmission by the picture posted. We can't determine what a "KABOOM, knocka knocka knocka." is. We have no pic of the rear end so no conclusion possible there. Only thing we have left is to list out all the KABOOM's and knocks we have come across before - there have been some amazing ones I can tell you.
Mark stated it's broken. I will disagree with him, just because I like to.
I can tell you from experience as soon as you strip that engine down to the block it's now a boat anchor or a minimum $3k uphill battle before it's a running street ready car again.
Only other suggestion is to find a test stand locally and fire it up.

·
USAF retired
9,525 Posts
It could be any number of things, nobody can surmise any accuracy by looking at a pic of it, it's up to you to tear it apart to see what it is, or sell it as is.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts