Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please forgive me for somewhat off-topic content, but I really need help here.

Ok, heres the lowdown
1991 ranger 2.3
Driving along, truck lost power. No pops backfires, pings, nothing, engine just smoothly turned off as if it was turned off

at the ignition. Check it out. Timing belt is broken. Tow truck home, remove old timing belt, align crank and cam according

to book, replace timing belt. All good so far right? Nope, truck still wont start. Absolutely no spark at the coils. Here is

everything I have tried since then.

Fuel pump is coming on, fuel is present at the schrader valve on the fuel rail

Swapped out TFI module...did nada

Swapped out one of the coil packs...did nada

checked all underhood fuses....good

all 3 relays seem to be clicking (pump, eec, and ignition)

pulled ignition switch out from column...seems to be working fine

crank position sensor seems to be working fine (turn over motor by hand and when the gap is closed you can hear the relay

start the pump)

all grounds seem to be connected, (engine, eec, etc)

Truck is spitting out a code 88, which is supposed to mean DIS, spout, or SAW failure.

Any ideas on what to try next.
Do you think possibly the ignition or eec relay is bad even though they are clicking?
Is there some type of fuse, fusable link or relay that I am missing
If the EEC was bad would it give any type of code?

I am curious to understand how the ignition switch works.
4 positions acc, off, on, start right. Logic would tell me if the "on" portion of the ignition is not working, the truck

would turn over but never start right? Is this a possibility.

I am open to all opinions
Thanks in advance
Andy

·
Registered
519 Posts
Whew, sounds like your going to be chaseing Gremlins.
I hate that SH*T. Sounds like you covered almost everything I can think of, Good Luck!

Or pull the 4 banger and drop a 302 in there :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got the problem straightened out. It was the TFI module. I had taken my ignition module to get it tested at two different stores. Tested about 10 times and it passed every time. As well as buying a new one that did not work out of the box. I pulled my hair out for about 2 days with an ohmeter and the whole ignition system and wiring harness. I decided on a whim to go buy another ignition module and it fired right up! That just about sums up my luck. Just be weary of those ignition module tests at autoparts stores, as they are not as accurate as I first thought.

Andy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts