Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 89 GT with minor mods (exhaust, 65mmThrottle Body, 70mm Mass Air Meter, and the usual suspension upgrades)and the car runs hot. Its running around 235 w/AC on, (thats in between the N and O on the gauge, pretty high on the gauge) and I have replaced the fliud, flushed the system, bypassed the heater, changed thermostat, and even got another water pump. My next purchase will be a radiator if I can not get a fix here. Its an expensive piece so i wanted some help before I did it. Anyone got a fix. Also ever have a problem where your starter gets stuck, this just started happening?:confused: :confused:

·
Registered
212 Posts
I just added a new fan clutch and my temp dropped to 195 from 220 with ac on, 94 degrees outside and rush hr traffic.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Check the fan clutch, it should provide *a little* resistance to spin with the car OFF. If it spins freely by hand, there is a problem.

Use more water in your coolant mix. Don't run a 50/50 antifreeze/water mix. I'm assuming it doesn't get down to freezing temperatures often there. I'd run no more than 30% antifreeze to 70% water in your cooling mix.

I don't know how much it would help, but it wouldn't hurt to add a bottle of Redline Water Wetter, either. I live in South Florida (HOT, too!) and the temp in my 1990 5.0 was always around the bottom two lines on the gauge, A/C or not.

Good luck!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Normal temp should be around 195-205. I would say you might as well do a radiator. I tend to reccomend the cheap-o upgrade from Pep Boys (It's either a Modine or GDI -- They carry both). I only paid $145 for mine, and it's a 3-core radiator, MUCH more capable than stock. Since I've been testing my car, on a day that it was 90* outside, I let my car sit and idle for an hour, and with that radiator, a 195* thermostat, and stock clutch fan. The temperature gauge (If you're using stock, you may want to upgrade to an aftermarket -- THey have a tendancy not to be too accurate) sat like a ROCK at 200. Right where I wanted it!

Hope some of this info helps!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Dont forget about gauge inaccuracy. Normal temp is 220, not 190. 192 is when the t-stat begins to open.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone. Replaced the radiator and radiator cap and car runs at 200 with the AC:p :p :p Thanks everyone once again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts