Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this is the right forum to post this in, but anyway...

Are there any companies that sell non-chrome or polished cold air intake tubes? I'm not a fan of the shiny underhood look, and nothing else under the hood of my car is shiny. My car came with a Mac CAI from the previous owner but I'd like to make it look more inconspicuous. If nobody offers a shiny one, is it possible to just paint mine? I suspect it'd need a ton of prep work in the way of sanding the chrome so the paint will stick?

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
moroso makes a black plastic one. you also have the option of making your own out of pvc and painting it. the cheapest option would be to hit the MAC kit with a blue 3M pad on a die grinder, then spray it with your choice of paint color.

your engine compartment looks great by the way. do you happen to know if that strut tower brace will fit a Trickflow intake?

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the comment, Hybred, but my engine compartment looks like pretty much any 5.0 SEFI Mustang! No idea if the strut tower brace will fit a TF intake. I'd ask Maximum Motorsports.

I'd be a little scared to hit up such a pretty piece with a grinder, but I think I might end up doing that. At least I didn't pay for it!

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Pull it off and sell it. Then spend the money on something that adds HP. ;) Cold air intakes are good for just about nothing. What upgrads do you have? I see the cobra intake, looks like a larger radiator.
Your engine bay looks good. I'd pull off the fan shroud scrape off the sticker and spray paint it with bumper black (or you can go white to match the car). You can also easily pull off the serpentine tensioner and paint it... maybe white to match the car or black to look cool. Chrome and shiny are 2 things I have avoided also. Stock valve covers paint real easy also. I have a bud with polished valve covers and they're still cooking hot hours after the car's been turned off. My headers cool down quicker.
How long ago did you get this car? Was it in an accident? It looks like the radiator support was replaced. Usually the rad support is painted to match the car.... yours is black on a white car. Even if it's been replaced, don't worry. Parking a little too close to a front curb too often and bumping off the curb dents the rad support. I have a scab car that's never been crashed but needs a new rad support... BAD! Previous owners didn't know how to park.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok slo5oh, sell it and replace it with what? ;)

Right now it's still really mild. Full EFI conversion (this car had CFI stock), CAI (obviously) Cobra intake/TB/injectors with A9L, headers, pulleys, AFPR, Pro-M MAF, high output coil. As my sig says, I have a pair of AFR 165 heads waiting to go on the car once I get time to pull it off the road for a while. Of course I'm looking for more power, and when it comes to the CAI I actually don't want something flashy, but I have to have some sort of filter setup there. So what do you recommend?

BTW, about the black core support. I dunno if Mustangs are different, but all the LTDs I've seen have been like that. Here's a pic of my old LTD (yes, I've owned 4 of them believe it or not.... you can also see what the original engine in my car looked like):

·
Registered
784 Posts
The Stock EFI mustang airbox and tube flows just as much air as that CAI setup providing the silencer is removed and a K&N panel filter is used in the stock airbox.

I really can't see it worth the bother to sell the CAI, then track down a stock airbox setup.

The chromed CAI tubes can be painted fairly easily if you really don't like the look. I painted over my old Taiwan chrome valvecovers and air cleaner lid several years back by just lightly sanding then spraybomb time.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Chevyguy, I agree. Not to mention the fact that I'd actually have to cut more of a hole in the fenderwell to put the stock Mustang box in since my car was not equipped with one in the first place. Although the Densecharger does look appealing....

·
Registered
190 Posts
theres also the iceman cai

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
All the kits on eBay I can find (except the Densecharger) are chrome metal.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Send it to Jet Hot. They can spray it with a ceramic coating for around 40-50 dollars in black. I will be sending my Power Pipe there to also be painted ceramic coat black. They also have many colors to choose from if you want something else besides black.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts