Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it's hard to "explain" a noise, but here's what I got.

When I first start the car, then put it in gear, the is a loud vibrating/echoing noise, esp at low RPM and with the A/C on. If I rev up to about 900-1000 RPM it goes away. I know the A/C is not the cause, I think it has something to do with the A/C contributing to the stress and workload.

Bottom line is it seems to happen at low RPM when the engine is under stress. It does not vibrate at higher RPMS or when driving.

Dont know if the Vortech has anything to do with it, or the stock balancer or what.

Again..seems to be low RPM and High work load.

Any thoughts? :shrug:
Thanks
RC

PS...I guess if nobody knows of this, I can try to record the sound and play it on here.
Thanks
RC

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
THought about this, but the noise will slightly occur even with the A/C off. It is just MORE noticeable with the A/C on, as if the added stress to the engine causes it.

Any thoughts on the stock balancer or the S/C itself?
RC

·
Premium Member
5,697 Posts
Hi there,
Doesn't matter if the A/C is on or off, the pulley still spins on the bearing. If the bearing on the pulley is bad, the only way to tell is to remove the A/C pulley and check it.

With the engine running did you check/look at the accessory pulleys to see if one of them was not right?

See ya. Michael Plummer

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hard to tell, but When the car is running hot (above 190* or so, doesnt make the noise?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Might want to check your exhaust, retorque all your flanges on the headers and the x/h pipe could be a good start. If it sounds like something is loose at a cold temperature then goes away at higher temps then it possible that metal in the exhaust pipes are expanding and tightening up.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It doesnt only go away at high temps. It goes away when the engine is cool if I give it gas to get over 1200 RPM or so. Then when I let off and the rpm drops under 1000, it comes back. It is only when the engine is warm that it doesnt do it at all.

RC

1 - 7 of 7 Posts