Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1997 cobra with a coyote 5.0 engine. Car has been great ever since the swap. I have 1500 to 1700 miles on engine. I have run it very hard before and everything is perfect.

I have not driven it for like 2 weeks and I went to drive it. All was fine but when i parked it at a store and then came out and started it up to go home, it was making a very loud scraping like noise immediately as it was started. It was coming more from the back of the engine near the flywheel. I checked everything immediately, oil pressure, temps, etc. and all looked good so i slowly drove home. Everything performed normal - but that noise was so loud i was hearing it over the exhaust and even with windows up. Then half way home it suddenly stopped. I was only like 15 minutes from home this whole time. Anyway, I made it home and can't figure out what the hell happened. I did smell something too - like electrical burning smell or just a funky smell. But it was very very slight smell - might even be in my head. I looked under car and all over engine bay area. I have no other symptoms. What could this be? It was loud so something is up. It didn't appear to be exhaust related. And I dont even think it changed sound as car went up in rpms but it was so loud and non specific sounding, as it was a scraping noise, that was hard to determine that. Any ideas?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Starter bendix got stuck?

and if electrical smell..possibly the Solenoid stuck on and started to melt.

I would look at the starter. or cables going to it.

If B+ cable became open and touched ground..thus engaging the starter constantly.. another possibility.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Starter bendix got stuck?

and if electrical smell..possibly the Solenoid stuck on and started to melt.

I would look at the starter. or cables going to it.

If B+ cable became open and touched ground..thus engaging the starter constantly.. another possibility.
Dude. You nailed it! So I went out to check it out and started the car and it made the noise again, but then subsided to a slight nicking sound. I shut it down and restarted it to, I don't, maybe a dumb move, but I started it again and this time it made the noise but i shut it down quick and the starter was just spinning. It would not stop even with the key out. That thing is loud even when it doesnt seem the teeth are grinding. I was screwed - i had to run down some stairs to get some tools and run back up to undo the taylor box in the trunk to get to the battery terminals. LOL. Finally got it shut down. One thing i noticed is that the remote didnt lock the doors when i ran down to get some tools. So what the hell, how did something electrical get screwed up?

It seems I have been through 3 starters with this car since 2001. Geez.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts