Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't know what year the 5.0 motor is or from what vehicle. The crank pulley has only 3 bolt holes instead of the normal 4 (normal on an 87-93 5.0). Anyone know what the heck this is from. The dampner is cast and the pulley is a part of the dampner not 2 seperate peaces. Could this be an "early" dampner?

I already called ford with the part number. They said they could get one but don't know what its from.

I want to replace it with an sfi if I knew what the counterweight was.

Someone has to know.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
3 bolt pulleys with "V" (if equipped) belts normally signify early stuff. Which should mean it's 28oz imbalance as the 50oz stuff started in the early 80's.

So you have a part number? That should tell a rough idea of age. If it starts with a C, it's from the 60's and if it starts with a D it's the 70's. E=80's, F=90's...and so forth.

The second number would be the year of that decade. So if the first 2 numbers were C8, that would mean it's a 1968 casting.

Sure it's a 302? It could possibly be a 289 or even a 221/260?

Can't say I've seen too many cast in pulley grooves on the dampners, but I'm not too familair with the older stuff. I know the modular motors use that set-up though.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The exact part number is

F67E-AB H 34616
That is exactly the way it is on the dampner. The pulley portion has 5 ribs on it and is not the V type.

By the way, thank you very much for the reply.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The water pump number is

F67E-8505-BA

The alternator bracket part number is

F87E-12039-AB

Someone has to know what this is for?

·
Registered
373 Posts
To my knowledge 3 bolt pullies haven't been used since about 1970. The casting # however would indicate that the dampner is from an 1986 motor. The water pump an 86 and the alt. bracket an 88. Sometimes Ford uses an old casting number part on a newer motor so I would guess that the motor is 88 or newer but I don't know what it is out of. With those years it would have to be a 50 ounce balance.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks Bubaholmes,

I thought the part numbers were in the form that TC89LX stated though.

This one is killing me. Made 2 calls to ford today and got the same answer at 2 different dealers. I can get one but I don't know what it is from. A search at ford parts online came up empty.

A search here for three bolt pulley turned up nothing revelant.

Someone has to know.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Sorry I was thinking on the grading scale not the alphabet.
Duh. My bad, he is absolutely right. I am thinking it can't be off too many different vehicles if it has F8 parts on it. Maybe it is from an Explorer. I think all other vehicles had mod motors by 98.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You may be correct. I want to be real sure so I can install the correct SFI balancer. Thanks again for the replies. Keep em coming if you find anything else. If we eliminate all other possibilities then whats left is correct.

Does anyone know of any 5.0 motor that used a newer style belt pulley's (5 rib) and didn't use a 50 balancer?

If I had a dang 96-98 explorer I go out and look at it.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Silver,

That is an explorer dampener. I happen to have one in my garage (I was planning on doing an EDIS conversion so I grabbed the front dress off an explorer).

My explorer pulley has 6 ribs though. Maybe you're getting the valleys and peaks confused? (The ribs are the number of valleys in the pulley).

Steve

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Slart,

You are da "Man".
Thank you very much.

You are correct, I counted the highpoints not the valleys (good explanation there by-the-way). Thank you very very very much.

I will take it then it is a 50 oz imbalance.

Thanks for the responses.

This is a great board.:)

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Any and all 302's made after the switch to 50oz (in 1982 I beleive) are 50oz.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Wow, never seen the front dress on the Explorer motors, I guess they really are a mixed bag of tricks. I would have guessed old, but I guess it was really from the last generation 5.0.

Glad you got it sorted out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts