Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought brand new BFG G-Force KDWS 255/45/17 tires, and I still don't have very good traction when dropping the clutch (around 2,500 RPM) or gunning it from a roll in 1st. What can I do to get improved traction on the street, with street tires? Getting different tires (drag radials) is not an option. I was thinking rear lower control arms...

Also, it sure seems like my acceleration from 2-3.5K is slow. After that I'm making good power (stock Cobra here). What can I do to improve my low-end acceleration? Gears? Would 3.55 be a good improvement from my stock 3.08s? I don't think I'd want to go higher than that.

Thanks,
IJ

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have very few mods and my car does the same thing. I have the MM lowers and FMS uppers and still have traction problems. I think that drag radials and maybe struts and shocks set up for drag racing is your only option.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll throw some sand bags in the trunk and see if that helps! haha...

·
Registered
604 Posts
Don't drop the clutch.
There no two ways about it on street tires on the street. Roll into the throttle and easy off the clutch. Even before the torque arm with just GW lowers the car will squirt off the line with barely a squeak and rolls right on up to the shift point with a scratch into second and third.
Now with the torque arm the body lifts a bit and launches the car with the same light clutch/throttle technique.
3.55's were decent in my friends Cobra, he thought he should have gone with 3.27's though, I thought they were great.
I still run the factory 3.08's and kill WRX's up to 90mph from a dead stop.

·
US Army Active Duty
2,433 Posts
Mega bite Jr.s with a really good set of uppers. With 3.73s, mega bite jr.s and FRPP (crap) uppers I was able to launch dumping the clutch at around 2500, but I learned to slip since then. I also have bad wheelhop now due to the FRPP uppers and a generous amount of torque. I demolished the bushings.

3.55's will be great on the highway for you. I like my 3.73's, but there isn't as much difference as you would think between the two.

Open up your exhaust some (headers and H pipe)and get some air in (read: K&N cone or cai) and she'll wake up in the low end torque department.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Get 3.73s. 1st gear is a blast. I do not know if you have money to spend, but there is a suspension kit that was featured in MMFF a couple issues ago on their 91 LX, from Maximum Motorsports. I think it ran about $1500:eek: It had arms, subs, lowering springs, koni shocks, and a couple other goodies.

I haven't researched suspensions yet. That is coming last for me.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
No more dumping the clutch....okay? Theres too much low end power in the 302, you should be able to just idle out and roll into the throttle. Full exhaust, pulleys, CAI, 3.73s will wake your car up good. Just remember roll onto the throttle dont dump the clutch if you want to stall into higher RPMs then learn to slip the clutch but never dump it unless your trying to do burn outs.

·
Registered
83 Posts
gears vs. traction

I also have some traction problems with my '95 GT. Every time I hit it in first or second my rear end will try to start sliding all over the place. My tires are pretty roasted right now though, so that doesn't help at all. Anyways, if you are looking to get better traction, I'm not so sure if you want to go and slap a higher (or lower depending on the way you look at it) gear ratio into your rear end. This could only make your traction worse as the tires will spin with more ease. I guess that sometimes you just have to settle with the fact that your pony (or snake) is just a torquey beast and a mighty force to be reckoned with. Personally, I would rather have a car that it is too powerful for the average street tire than to sit behind the wheel of a rice-mobile that takes an actual effort to peel out in. I'm sure there's a solution to your problems, I'm just messin' around. But do understand that a higher gear ratio will set you back in your effort to connect rubber with pavement.:D

·
Registered
119 Posts
;) Lets all remember that all of the power in the world is USELESS unless you can put it to the ground!!!!!!

Traction is a very important issue. Spend the extra money, and get some sticky DOT's and mount them on spare wheels. You'll be glad in the long run-

1995 Cobra SVT, Paxton SN93 charger w/6-8 lbs boost, 40 lbs of fuel pressure, Stock long block, Motorsport X303 cam, BBK headers, offroad H, Flowmaster catback, 3:55 gears, BBK sub frame connectors, etc. Trying to get this thing dialed!! No track times yet-

1 - 9 of 9 Posts