Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I guess I will get right into it....

Car: 1995 Mustang GT with lots of mods but the most applicable to this post is the 93 cobra EEC-IV computer.

A couple of days ago I was driving on the freeway and my car started accelerating without me pressing the gas. I checked to see if the carpet was stuck on the gas or something and nothing. To make a long story short I shut the car off and managed to get it to the side of the road and towed home. Now the car starts and idles at about 2000 RPM and has no throttle response. The cables are all moving right and the throttle body is opening and closing but no surge at all. I ran the computer diagnostic and came back with Code 16 (Electronic ignition - IDM circuit fault - Ignition Systems) and Code 67 (Transmission Manual Lever Position (MLP) sensor circuit - Transmissions). Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Oh side note...I have already tried to reset the computer and that didn't work...still gives same codes and idles.

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
If there's no increase in revs, then the car either isn't getting air, or it THINKS it's not getting air, so it isn't adding fuel. I don't know but I'd start looking at your wire harness connections because it seems to me it's not getting a MAF signal, in which case it should substitute values based on other parameters like TPS voltage and BAP signal, except it's not compensating for that either, like it's not gettting those signals either. So start tracing some wires and go back to the biggest junctions you can find and look for a failure. On '87-93 cars I'd say 10-pin connectors at the back of the intake but I'm not sure they are the same on '94-95's. Maybe the EEC connection is weak after changing it out.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
damn electrical problems piss me off :rolleyes:

If my memory serves me correctly, if the MAF isnt connected the car should still startup and run, but it will be pretty lousy. You case sounds like the car doesnt even know that you are pressing the gas. Check out the TPS sensor. I wonder if the car thinks the TB is shut, and isnt adding fuel because the TPS sensor isnt increasing the voltage. It should be .96V at no throttle.

Code 67...was your ebrake on when you did the test?

this one is pretty strange....hold the throttle wide open and nothing happens...LOL! Maybe a rat made a huge nest in your upper intake? I had one build one on top of my lower intake (outside the engine)...but never one inside

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
That's the wierd thing, the computer will substitute for a missing signal such as TPS or MAF but it seems like it's missing too many inputs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
alright, I tested the voltage of the TPS and it came back reading 3.75 V. Isn't that super high? I thought it was supposed to operated just under 1. The last thing I want is to have the Ford dealer mess with this...what a friggin mess

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
3.75!!!! HOLY CRAP!

I though mine was bad at 1.2V!!!

Isnt 3.75 like WOT voltage or pretty damn close? Do yourself a favor and pick up a new TPS sensor!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ordered one today through Kragen...thought it would be more expensive but only 45 bucks. Hope it will fix the problem but any other speculation toward what would cause this kind of a problem?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts