Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went to start my car after replacing the clutch and the fuel pump doesn't turn on when I turn the key to koeo. Turns out the eec is not getting power because my interface for my pms isn't working either. If I turn the key to start without pressing the clutch (so it won't start) the eec and pump come to life. I replaced the eec relay already. The ignition switch would seem like a logical culprit but it was also replaced recently and looks like it is still in good condition (not seperated).

I am wondering if maybe the neutral switch could be the cause, but I thought I smelled burned circuit while I was trying to start it. Fusible links??? When I tried a search another guy solved his problem by simply replacing his whole eec wiring harness, he never narrowed it down to anything.

Here is what my car is doing

http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=388081&highlight=fuel+pump+relay

·
Registered
575 Posts
xlr8gt said:
The ignition switch would seem like a logical culprit but it was also replaced recently and looks like it is still in good condition (not seperated).

Is the ignition switch connector OK? Mine was melted. I replaced it with a replacement pigtail I got at CarQuest.

I think if the connector is melted, replacing the switch without replacing the connector is going to cause the new switch to fail.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I had this problem before. Pissed me off. Entire engine just shut off on the freeway. Anyways, I checked if I had voltage at the ignition switch...nope...turned out to be the fuseable link. I forget which colour it is, but if you check your chiltons you can find it.

But check your ignition switch...and the voltage going to it first.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanxs for the input guys

The switch is getting power the radio works as do the rest of the accesories. The ignition switch looks perfect as does the pigtail. When I give the wire that goes to the eec relay 12v the computer turns on and the fuel pump primes. This works with the key out of the ignition, and every key position except koeo. When I turn the key to koeo the computer turns off even though the relay is getting 12v (bypassing the switch) Obvioulsy it only works when the harness is plugged into the ignition switch. I looked at the neutral safety switch and it is plugged in as is the reverse lights. I will check the continuity through the plug though. I checked the four fusible links coming off the yellow wire on the starter solenoid and they are good. I also checked the blue to black/orange wire between the starter solenoid and the ignition switch and it is good. I am pretty sure it is a problem with the wires for the eec relay. Again thanx for the help and keep the ideas commin.

ERIC

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I'm takin the dash out. I found out the ground wire that goes to the eec relay is getting 12 volts when the key is in the on position. It is grounded the rest of the time. :( Has anybody heard of this before?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hell I dunno, I do do know if I ground that wire directly to the body it sparks and blows the relay. :(

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update for those that have helped:

Well I found the problem. I had to extend the wiring for the oxygen sensors because they are now mounted on my downpipes, closer to the front of the car. The ground and the hot wire going to the driverside sensor got crossed. The ground wire happened to be the same wire as the computers ground causing the computer to not come on.

Thanks again for those that helped.

ERIC

1 - 10 of 10 Posts