Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, On my car, there is no play on the clutch pedal. I should be able to have 1 to 2 inches of loosness where I can tap it and the clutch won't engauge. How can I adjust it so the clutch won't engauge right once you touch it?

-Code

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
I have the same problem.. If i adjust the steeda cable so i have some play the clutch won't completely engage.

Is that normal?

Alan

·
Registered
311 Posts
I also have the steeda setup and have the same problem. It seems to work well and my clutch isn't slipping and there is no noise coming from the TOB.

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
I don't feel like it's slipping until i stop on a hill.

Could that just be the locker rear i have?

Alan

·
Registered
105 Posts
Code 001 and Big Top...
I take it you mean "disengage"

To adjust the factory linkage, put your toes under the pedal and firmly lift it. This will cause the factory quadrant to self adjust to a looser setting next time it is pressed (assuming clutch wear has resulted in a tight cable). If the cable is already suitably slack nothing will happen.
This should be done from time to time with the factory quadrant to prevent the throwout bearing from dragging.

I am using the Steeda quadrant and firewall adjuster. I have modified the pedal arm bumper such that the clutch pedal sits a bit lower than stock. Even with this mod the clutch will release completely with a little slack adjusted into the cable.

FWIW and a bit off topic I see or feel no improvement with the Steeda setup other than the ability to adjust the cable with the pedal repositioned. The factory semi-self adjusting hardware also has it's merits.

Whatever quadrant you are running you don't want the cable tight with the pedal up. In the best case that will cause the throwout bearing to drag continuously and fail prematurely. In the worst case the clutch will slip, generate lots of heat and die an early smoking/stinking death.

CLB

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
From the factory, Mustangs have a constant running TB arrangement. The throwout bearing is in engagement with the pressure plate diaphram fingers continuously. If you notice, from the factory, the clutch disengages and engages right at the top of the pedal travel.

The adjustment procedure is simply to adjust tension on the cable. It does not adjust the cable such that there is slack to the degree to where the TB has no load on it. If you look at the OE quadrant arrangement, it has a preload spring that maintains a constant amount of force applied on the cable when the pedal is in the at-rest position.

I have always run preload on my clutch cables with aftermarket quadrants (about the same degree of preload as stock) and have never had a problem with premature TB wear/failure.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts