Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 5.0 Tbird: With the switch on, I have marker lights but no headlights. If I pull and hold back the lever (flash-to-pass) I have high beams. The fuse location as described in the book reads as being a 22amp circut breaker that is part of the light switch assembly. Im assuming the switch needs to be replaced but thought Id ask for some feedback. I removed the switch and it does not look servicable, it does have metal cooling fins.
Had to drive home last night holding the high beam lever in place and pissed a lot of folks off, fortunately no cops!

·
Registered
56 Posts
sounds like the switch. had the same problem. make sure the connectors are clean on the pig tail and the switch.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
teamtruett said:
On my 5.0 Tbird: With the switch on, I have marker lights but no headlights. If I pull and hold back the lever (flash-to-pass) I have high beams. The fuse location as described in the book reads as being a 22amp circut breaker that is part of the light switch assembly. Im assuming the switch needs to be replaced but thought Id ask for some feedback. I removed the switch and it does not look servicable, it does have metal cooling fins.
Had to drive home last night holding the high beam lever in place and pissed a lot of folks off, fortunately no cops!
WTF...My 88 TurboBird did that last nite...:mad:

·
Registered
370 Posts
are your light bulbs burnt out???

·
Registered
7,729 Posts
I hope T-birds don't have F'd up wiring like the fox's do.

You could get a wiring diagram and jump a wire to turn the low beams on and see if that works. That way you'll know if its the switch or not.

·
Registered
247 Posts
just had this problem with my '87 LX. A new headlight switch took care of it.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well Im back from the local pick-n-pull with a switch but still no headlights. I did look at the bulbs to see if they were both burned out. The dash has a "low beam out" light but that is not on. Still have the high beams if I pull and hold back the lever. Scratching my head on this one guys. Damn electrical gremlins....

·
Registered
370 Posts
so the lights werent burnt out it happened to mine I bought 2 new bulbs and that was it

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Damn...Means I've got to do some exploratory work on mine. :D
When I bought the car it had smoked headlight covers and the headlights would flicker. I took them off and it only did it with the highbeams. Then they stopped working...

I can't touch mine until until Wed morning, I'll keep you posted. I know my headlights are good.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Nitrous SSC said:
I hope T-birds don't have F'd up wiring like the fox's do.

You could get a wiring diagram and jump a wire to turn the low beams on and see if that works. That way you'll know if its the switch or not.
The T-Birds do have a lot of gremlins, mostly the '87-88s. The TurboBirds are more troublesome than the 3.8 or 5.0 models.:mad:

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I swapped in a light from the mustang just to rule out the bulbs.
Wish I could tell if a switch is bad by looking at it... Thanks I have a haynes manual and if Im reading the head light wiring diagram right I need to trace a red/yellow wire... (assuming the second switch was OK) Thanks for keeping me posted, never had to plan to be home before dark....

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
I work 3rd shift and cannot drive the 'Bird to work.

One thing I do know is the circiut breaker in the fuse panel was getting hot. The one for the 'flash to pass', horn, fuel door among others.

Gotta get ready for work now...

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Problem solved! Went to the junk yard and got the multi function swtich lever (turn signals/high beams). I suspected the lever being the likely suspect because when I tried to click on the highbeams there was no "click-click" action sound. You need to remove the steering colum cover (philips srewdriver) and remove the switch assembly with a small torx bit.(2 screws) There are two harness plugs that go to the assembly.
Hope this helps!

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Been working 11:30PM to after 12 noon, these 13 hour days do not leave much time to do things. :rolleyes:

I pulled mine apart yesterday and noticed that Bubba was in there before me. Bubba rewired some things under there and there is some question to the integrity of his mods. Such as leaving the old melted fog light harness under the dash. :eek:

I did not replace the multi function switch, but did swap the head light switch. $5 at the junkyard and I wish I had checked back here earlier, now I got to go back to the junk yard on Tues. Hopefully it wil only be another $5.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts