Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey my last engine combo. I ran a 65mm throttlebody without a egr or egr spacer I was just wondering did that hurt performance at all? I didn't quite run what I thought the car should have. So I'm just wondering if that took some of my bottom end torque?
Now on my new engine combo I'm wondering if I should atleast run a egr spacer plate? Thanks guys..

·
Banned
1,064 Posts
well did you have the sensor that plugged into the old egr electronics? If so it tricks the car into believing its opening and shutting. So it doesnt matter. And as long as you had the block off plate on there correctly with the plug in.......it could only help.

·
Banned
1,064 Posts
what i met by sensor, is the egr eliminator sensor. The one that gets rid of Check engine light when you remove egr stuff

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No I didn't buy nothing that did that..I just removed the egr and bolted the throttle body right to the edelbrock manifold I had to do a little bit of grinding on the manifold to clear the Idle air control but that was all..I was just wondering if the just didn't perform like it should have because of this...Thanks

·
Registered
772 Posts
I called Ford Racing and the Tech guy told me I could remove the vacuum and coolant lines, but I still needed to plug it in so the computer could recognize it.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I guess what I'm asking is you know how they sell them spacers for behind the throttle body for more power, well since I don't have anything behind my throttlebody should I put atleast a spacer behind it for more power?

·
Registered
758 Posts
the only spacer I have seen (except OEM) was simpily there to bolt the throttle bracket to. No power is gained nor lost from this install.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
831 Posts
The EGR spacer is not nesassary without a an EGR system.
But when it is removed, you are changing the intake volume and runner length.
I dont know for sure if your going to see a change in power. I highly doubt youd feel the difference.
On a carb'd motor, a carb spacer will increase intake volume and runner length- providing more power in the higher RPM range.

This leads me to believe that a removed EGR sapcer *might* provide you with a little more torque down in the low RPMs and a little less HP in the higher RPMs.
Dont know for sure------ But I have seen lots of race only cars without the spacer.

·
Registered
35,890 Posts
The computer only tells the egr valve to operate at part throttle; it keeps the egr valve closed at idle and wide open throttle. So there's no performance benefit at wide open throttle to removing the egr valve/spacer. As for the volume and runner length issues - it is a change; but I doubt it makes any significant difference in power/torque levels or the rpm at which they occur.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well havn't you seen them throttlebody spacers they sell in summit which are they try to say give you more power? but for $80 which I don't think they make a difference on a ford like they do on the old 350TBI chevy motors..

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
hopuit said:
well havn't you seen them throttlebody spacers they sell in summit which are they try to say give you more power? but for $80 which I don't think they make a difference on a ford like they do on the old 350TBI chevy motors..
The ones that claim to "swirl" the air for better combustion? If so, it's a silly product. Don't waste your money.

·
Registered
142 Posts
One GTOneLX said:
The ones that claim to "swirl" the air for better combustion? If so, it's a silly product. Don't waste your money.
No he is talking about a phenollic (sp?) spacer (not the tonrado) like you use on TBI and carbed applications. I don't see how they work, they are supposed to help atomize the fuel, which they on TBO and carb, but on a regular injection setup there is no fuel there to atomize till much later down the line so unless the increased intake volume changes something.....

·
Registered
12 Posts
i have a cobra intake but i just toke off the egr value and plate a metal block off plate of my own on there and did the same for a friend of mine who has a gt-40 intake, you need to just take the senor off the value, tape it closed and the check engie light will never come on.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts