Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Nitto's website, they list 245/50/16. Would that be OK? i know the stock size is 225/60/16. Does anyone have any experiences with them? Did you like them or no? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
27,655 Posts
I ran the 245/50-16's on pony-sized rims for 2 years. Absolutely loved them. The only reason I'm not still running them is I went more for open-track tires.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I've had 245/50's for several years now, and like MFE said, they're great. The only caveat with them, is they tend to wear out in the center long before the outer edges. I ran mine with 25psi on the street trying to get more even wear out of them. I managed to get about 20k mi out of them (including about ~30 1/4mi passes) before I felt they were approaching unsafe condition - The centers are slick, but I still have a little tread along the edges.

Excellent traction on the street, wet and dry, until they get slick - then they're a bit testy in the rain/cold.

Wade

·
Registered
753 Posts
I have been using them for 8 months now. I love them. They even handle fine in rain. I have also been on the snow with them. It wasn't fun but they worked (sort of). If you give them a small smoky burnout then they will hook up nicely on the street. You won't believe what real traction feels like :D

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do they bulge out alot? Does any one have any pics? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
They bulge a little, but not much. Nittos, for whatever reason, seem to run narrower than other tires the same size.

Not very close-up, but........

Wade

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Four years ago I ran 245/50-16 Nitto DRs on Ponys on my old 86 hatch. They were great tires - nice on the street and hooked good at the track (consistent mid 1.7s).

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
I have falken azenis I really liek them,. after heating them up my finger will actually stick to them. They also seem to hold heat well through the races. I was running the car in 40* weather and I did minimal burnouts all night and theyheld there heat great. I am just as happy with them as the nitto's and they drive great on the street and look more agressive. I also love them for autoXing

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the help guys. I will be ordering a pair soon.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Had a set on pony rims, before going to 8" centerlines. I liked them on the street but at the track is another story.... I could never get a better 60' than 1.97 w/them. If I tried to lanch hard I got so much tire shake that the T5 would pop out of 1st (not good) the only way they worked for me was to slip the clutch & get some tire spin to get out of the hole. I believe the problem was the short sidewall (50 series) was not allowing enough flex for my car to hook, they work much better on an automatic in my opinion. Good luck, I hope they work better for you than they did for me.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
I had them on my car for about 3 years. Worked great and got best 60ft of 1.82 with them.

Only reason I dont have them is I went to 5 lug and new wheels.. I actually have a pair of 275/40/17s hanging on the wall waiting to go on another set of track wheels. (using for both cars eventually)

Adam

1 - 12 of 12 Posts