Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading various accounts of guys running these DR's at auto x events. How the heck are they doing it? My car is downright scary on the freeway with 555r tires on the rear. Nitto claims they have stiffer sidewalls than your average DR.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
184 Posts
If you do buy new tires get the road hazard protection. I decided not to because I only drive to car shows and the track(mistake). I pulled my tires to inspect brakes etc. and found a clipped head 16penny framing nail right through the little circle tread depth hole. Like someone shot it right through there. Tire only had about 200 miles.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
184 Posts
Did you find the drag radials squirrelly on the highway?
I didn't do a lot of highway driving . But I did run down the freeway a few times at 75-80 for short stints and they didn't seem squirrelly to me. I was not overly impressed with the hookup and could easily spin them in first gear. And they would break loose in 2nd also around 6000 rpm(apx 60-70) And I would get sideways so I never felt confident as I found myself pointed at the ditch. 19psi both sides. Now the nt01, much more predictable and better hook up.

·
Super Moderator
27,653 Posts
I autox'd on 555R's for a couple seasons, WAY back in the day. Ran standard summer tires on the front. It actually did really well, even though driving it on the highway did feel scary sometimes. I ran drag radials because I was sick of getting holeshotted across intersections by Geo Prizms, and I didn't want to run separate tires for different kinds of activities. I wouldn't let it stop me from autocrossing even today, if those were the tires I had.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I ran drag radials because I was sick of getting holeshotted across intersections by Geo Prizms, and I didn't want to run separate tires for different kinds of activities. I wouldn't let it stop me from autocrossing even today, if those were the tires I had.
Haha!!! Exactly why I threw on some dr's. I couldn't get a holeshot to save my life. The reason I posted this is because I'm baffled. The rear of my SN is all over the place as if the axle is moving around. Some have blamed it on my Nitro dr's with 30psi in them. How can that be if guys are auto Xing with them? Nitro claims they have stiff sidewalls. I swear it all started with the installation of aftermarket rear lowers with spherical bearings on one end and the J&M poly ball joint on other. Then I installed their double adjustable uppers. J&M has never heard of this problem. It's as if the rear suspension has been freed without the quadrabind suspension. Torque boxes are like new. Alignment is spot on. Bushings in rear diff are new.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Let me see if I got this straight, you've got a drag radial with stiff sidewalls inflated to 30 psi and your complaining about fish tailing?

·
Registered
506 Posts
Stiff sidewalls for a drag radial may not be all that stiff on an absolute scale. Nitto's NT555R drag radial isn't the same tire as the NT555 RII road course tire at all even though they both have the NT555 tread pattern.

Norm

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Let me see if I got this straight, you've got a drag radial with stiff sidewalls inflated to 30 psi and your complaining about fish tailing?
I believe that's what I typed.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Stiff sidewalls for a drag radial may not be all that stiff on an absolute scale. Nitto's NT555R drag radial isn't the same tire as the NT555 RII road course tire at all even though they both have the NT555 tread pattern.

Norm
Yes; I realize the difference but guys are referring to the 555R tire on road auto x cars in various forums. If my issue is the 555R tires; how are guys auto xing with them?

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I didn't state my rim and tire size for those who assume. I run 17x10.5 rims and 315/35/17 tires. I don't have a great deal of sidewall as it is.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I'm hoping they are two different tires, with different compounds. I'd never think about throwing my car around a road course on my m/t et street's. That would be as you stated "downright scary."

·
Registered
506 Posts
I didn't state my rim and tire size for those who assume. I run 17x10.5 rims and 315/35/17 tires. I don't have a great deal of sidewall as it is.
10.5" is the narrowest rim width that is normally listed by the tire mfrs for mounting any 315/35 tire on. That makes the tire & wheel combination less rigid laterally and less precise than you may want (or perhaps expect) under some driving conditions.

Norm

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
10.5" is the narrowest rim width that is normally listed by the tire mfrs for mounting any 315/35 tire on. That makes the tire & wheel combination less rigid laterally and less precise than you may want (or perhaps expect) under some driving conditions.

Norm
Good point Norm. I'm not auto Xing but figured this is the best sub forum to discuss my car's issue. The car feels like the rear end is floating around while driving straight down the freeway. I guess I'm going to have to throw different tires on the rear.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm hoping they are two different tires, with different compounds. I'd never think about throwing my car around a road course on my m/t et street's. That would be as you stated "downright scary."
ET Streets are scary with a much softer sidewall.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Try running them with less pressure. 275/40/17 on and 8.5 wheel so similar to your setup. I ran mine at 28 and gradually reduced that to 19psi. You probably know this but make sure pressure is identical in both.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts