Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how do i keep my bottle warm? it is like 40 degree's outside, i stuck the bottle in some hot water, the bottle pressure is finally up to about1050psi, now how do i keep it that way with out a bottle heater? are there any tricks???

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i am going out to the track in the morning and just need a temporary fix just for the time being. i really appreciate any ideas

·
Registered
257 Posts
put it in the front seat on the bottom, and turn the heater on high...or find about 5 thermoses and bring some hot water???

·
Registered
220 Posts
heating pad and long extension cord!!!!!

·
Registered
123 Posts
man... just buy an NX automatic bottle heater... I can get you a good price if you really want one.

it will save on the hassle.

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
In between runs put a wet towel on your engine to absorb the heat from your intake. About 15mins b4 you run wrap the towel around your bottle.:D

If your towing the car to track your even better set. Put the same towel on the engine of the tow truck and let it idle during rounds... the towel then can be wrapped on your bottle to warm it up for a longer period...

As you can tell Ive been there done that in past but now I have two bottle heaters as hassle in later rounds isnt worth it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
you ever tried a torch ?? heat the bottle with it . just keep the flame moving and don't hold it in one spot . it works great .

seeya eric

·
Registered
8,406 Posts
nos/86 said:
you ever tried a torch ?? heat the bottle with it . just keep the flame moving and don't hold it in one spot . it works great .

seeya eric
Don't do this, you're asking for trouble.

It is against NHRA and IHRA rules to heat a bottle with a torch, for obvious reasons.

·
Registered
123 Posts
fiveoboy01 said:
Don't do this, you're asking for trouble.

It is against NHRA and IHRA rules to heat a bottle with a torch, for obvious reasons.

yep......

·
Registered
20 Posts
ok guys you can flame me later but ,

whats the differents in heating the bottle with a bottle heater (heats in 1 spot ), hot water (boils the nitrous ),or a torch thats moving (heats whole bottle )?

i know your NOT supost to but a crap load of people do . i'll do it . and i've got a bottle heater for both bottles in the car . and 1 for the bottle in my other car well . try heating a bottle at the track with a bottle heater you have a dead battiery in about 10mins.

against the rules , i've heard that but no one has ever said anything to us about it before . my friends race in (nmra,nmca,osca,outlaw10.5,nsca, ) races every weekend some where . in the sotheast . they'll be 30 nitrous car in staging ,i bet 20 of them are heating with a torch .

just my thoughts .

anyway you heat a bottle you take the same risk .

seeya eric

·
Registered
8,406 Posts
nos/86 said:

whats the differents in heating the bottle with a bottle heater (heats in 1 spot ), hot water (boils the nitrous ),or a torch thats moving (heats whole bottle )?
A torch flame is extrememly hot compared to a bottle heater. You can weaken the aluminum, and there is a chance the bottle will fail.

i know your NOT supost to but a crap load of people do . i'll do it . and i've got a bottle heater for both bottles in the car . and 1 for the bottle in my other car well . try heating a bottle at the track with a bottle heater you have a dead battiery in about 10mins.
Then buy a battery charger.

against the rules , i've heard that but no one has ever said anything to us about it before . my friends race in (nmra,nmca,osca,outlaw10.5,nsca, ) races every weekend some where . in the sotheast . they'll be 30 nitrous car in staging ,i bet 20 of them are heating with a torch .
Funny, I've NEVER seen anyone heat a bottle with a torch at any of the NMRA races I went to.

20 of 30 cars using torches? BS.

·
Registered
20 Posts
ok sorry i got one more thing to say . we don't get to get to many nmra races. but you must not look around much . becuase they do it all the time at all the places we go to . all you got to do is look . just look next time your out at the track .

seeya eric

·
Registered
228 Posts
Do yourself a favor and get the bottle heater. If you are bracket racing you also want the same temperature each and every run to be consistent. On the way to the track you can keep it on the floor of the car with the heater on, but it may get too warm. There is no way to really regulate the temperature and be accurate, unless the botle is in the car, and you can monitor the gauge. Also make sure that the use the "key on" lead to the switch, so there is no possibilty of it staying on with the key turned off. The easiest way to find that wire is with a $3.00 test light.

Ron

1 - 14 of 14 Posts