Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want a supercharger, but its not going to happen. I am probably going to end up getting some wheels to fit some larger d/r's on, but i want some more performance mods also...

Any ideas for my next performance mod....check sig for what i already got :cool:

thanks, Dan....

·
Registered
51 Posts
Well you've got the best basic stuff already. Great exhaust. Great gears. And yeah supercharging is a big step. It drained me of all my $$. Well it drained Discover card that is. But If you really want some HP for not a big amount of mula. You could always juice it a little bit. I'm not a big fan on the stuff because you never know what can happen but I'm actually thinking about trying it with the vortech...a small shot that is...maybe 30hp. But NOS makes a 4.6 kit that runs 125 to the GT's and 150hp shot to the cobra's. It comes with everything you need for about $500-$600.

If you just want some more bolt ons. Get a BBK cold air induction kit. Looks really good under the hood and is good for a few ponies. A MSD Dis 4 is always good. Combine that with new coil packs, new plug wires, and maybe a custom chip from JMS. Go with a 62mm Twin Throttle body. A C&L Mass air w/ larger injectors. Cobra's come stock with 24lb so maybe step up to larger one or so. Its near impossible to locate a set of IMRC Deletes now that ford discontinued them. A friend of mine located them from a place called Pauls High Performance. They run about $280 though now. I dont know if you said you had pulleys or not but they are always good.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i really dont think that Nitrous is a good idea right now either....i can afford a supercharger, but the problem comes because i cant afford to get it fixed if something were to go wrong. It is also my daily driver, so if something were to go wrong, i would be out of transportation.

That is why nitrous would also be a problem due to the chance of something serious going wrong and the cost of fixing it.

Thanks for the ideas though, keep them coming. And also, enlighten me on the real dangers of using nitrous.....:joy:

·
Registered
891 Posts
The previous car I owned which was a 2000 GT, basically same mods as yours, I had no gauges warning me about how lean/rich it was, or any caution notifications ... I ran a 100hp shot of N/X Express Wet kit and had absolutely NO problems. I sprayed about 50+ times. I simply traded the car in because it had tooo many miles I didn't have to repair anything on the car. The only thing I had to replace was the clutch and that was after 28,000 miles. I will installing the NOS on my new car with no second thoughts.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
yellow98stang said:
i can afford a supercharger, but the problem comes because i cant afford to get it fixed if something were to go wrong. It is also my daily driver, so if something were to go wrong, i would be out of transportation.
Thats about the smartest thing I have heard on this board in awhile. Congrats, play it smart, and play it for awhile.

More Gear, more traction, and you'll be there!

joe

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have ran a Vortech on my 98 GT for 20,000 miles... daily driven and raced... no problems at all. I think your cheapest horsepower would be newer heads. BUT... beware of ever putting a blower with these heads and your 4.6. The heads raise your compression. the heads alone will give you about what a 6-8 # blower would. A custom chip and heads would be a good setup at about half the blower cost if you can do the swap.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I too agree with joe. The smart move is wait until the cost of rebuild/repair is there before either N20 of s/c. The one thing I thought you could go with bolt-on would be headers. The dyno reports are still coming in but Lt's could be a nice performance gain for you..

jon

·
Registered
70 Posts
since you already have the Steeda pullies get a timing adjuster. that is the second best mod Ive done so far behind the gears. Im just starting on mine as well. I think I'll stay NA for a while and see how far I can go with it. see my thread " A need to go faster " It sounds like we're sort of in the same boat.
Greg

·
Registered
451 Posts
re

Like you already know.. you have options..

1) Buy the blower, slap it on run a small 6# of boost and run slightly faster than PI Pre 99's.

2) Buy heads, mill the swirl dams, still buy blower. You'll see an extra 50-70 RWHP out of the blower this way

3) Buy heads, Cams, Intake.. be all motor, but pushing right at 300 RWHP

4) Slap nitrous on the new 10.0:1 - 11.0:1 compression and HANG ON :)

Good Luck

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had my sotck 96 cobra heads ported and picke up 60 hp at the wheels. I am now at 330 hp at the wheels. Stay away form the cold air kits. You dont get much of a gain and you could have the same problem that I had. While driving through some heavy rain I ran through a deep puddle and hydrolocked my engine. Pushed one rod through the block, bent two other rods, and destroyed three pistons. That lead to a new engine (forged pistons and rods) and ported heads. FRPP now offers heads and cams for the cobra engine that are suposed to give you about 60 hp as well. Good Luck!

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Decisions, decisions.....thanks everyone for the great advice and ideas...

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Some of you guys need to READ the damn thread before you throw in your $.02!!! Those of you that said to swap to some PI heads, WTF????? HELLO PEOPLE, the guy has a Cobra not a GT!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Next mods you need are some JBA 1 5/8" headers, UPR powerpipe, UPR "Big Mouth" filter and a Pro-M 80mm MAF. A good dynotune (Autoligic or Superchips) the tuner can adjust the timing thru the chip so the Steeda T/A isn't needed. Those mods should pick you up at least 25 RWHP. ;) Good Luck.

Mystic4.6, Who did your head work? Were those gains with new cams added?

SnakeVenum96, If you want a BBK 62mm T.B. then Email me and I will sell you one CHEAP!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Houston Performance did all the work. I am not sure if they outsourced the head work and cam work but I know they rebuilt the new engine in house. I looked at the actual dyno shets from HP and the results were 322wrhp and 315wrtq on an engine that was not broken in. The previous dyno results were 272wrhp and 268wrtq at Dallas Mustang.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Thanks for the info. Very nice numbers by the way, especially the RWTQ! :eek: And welcome to the board.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.