Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, my names Dustin I'm new to this site "actually this is my first post". I have personally I have always been partial to the fox bodies. Well I recently picked up my third mustang. A 1990 Mustang LX with a 302 it's got quiet a few mods done to it and a few I've done. Heads cam intake throttle body Well I got to talking with my brother who lives in Louisiana and he works with a guy who is a mustang super nut. Guy has a supercharger he wanted to get rid of "baby on the way and economic times" So he proceeds to tell me This kit has less than 5k miles and great condition – never raced and was on a stock 5.0. The head unit has no shaft play, zero leakage, and perfect volute and impeller. It has never been rebuilt "he sent pictures of the single factory balance" So we start talking numbers and I bought for 1500.00 It's a Vortech V-1 S Trim that comes with the following:

Aluminum discharge tube (Satin)
Bosch bypass kit
Vortech air box with K&N air filter
FMU with stainless steel braided fuel lines
Vortech (MSD) Timing Retard with coil adapting wires and timing selection knob
Upper radiator pipe with rubber hose
Oil supply line and fittings
Oil return kit (new and never used)
All bracketry with hardware
All couplings, hose clamps, and vacuum hoses
UPR billet smog delete kit
Vortech crank pulley with optional underdrive 6 rib accessory drive
3.33” supercharger pulley
New 8 rib drive belt
Pro Comp Autometer boost gauge

Spares include:
Bosch bypass kit
8 rib tensioner pulley
2.5” supercharger pulley never installed

In addition I bought Anderson ford power pipe, bbk fuel rails, T-Rex fuel pump

Question #1 What MAF should I go with and what size injectors? Do I need a fuel regulator as well?

Question #2 Did I get a decent deal I have heard I got a steal and I heard I got took? I can say this my brother has known the guy for nine years he's a straight up good guy and I guess one hell of a wrench.

Question #3 I went over to Paul's High Performance today found out they don't dynotune the 5.0 mustangs anymore sold all that equipment they just weren't doing many of them anymore. Paul was an awesome guy very professional wanted to help in Anyway he could but said he only knew of two guys still tuning them one in Cincinnati and one in Atlanta. Anyone know where to get one tuned in Michigan.

Anyone got any suggestions I never thought it would be this hard to find someone to install and tune this kit?

Any info is appreciated and thanks ahead of time.

Dustin

· Registered
968 Posts
Lidio just tuned mine a couple of months ago. Not sure if he will install a used kit though. Call him and ask he gets 600 to tune it with a sct chip. I did my own install and then took it to him. He is conservative on his tunes. I thought my power should have been a little more but I went to the track and it ran good mph and et so I am happy.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

· Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks fellas I appreciate it. I am by no means going to call myself a mechanic but I do have patience and time. Is this something that can be done by someone of intermediate skill level? Any pointers?? My head is going a hundred miles an hour trying to decide the right injector / MAF combo to go with? Leaning towards 42lb injectors and a 76mm MAF. I will say from what I read about the overall install on the supercharger it sounds like the smog delete kit can be a pain but fortunately mine has already been deleted!

· Registered
254 Posts
Thanks fellas I appreciate it. I am by no means going to call myself a mechanic but I do have patience and time. Is this something that can be done by someone of intermediate skill level? Any pointers?? My head is going a hundred miles an hour trying to decide the right injector / MAF combo to go with? Leaning towards 42lb injectors and a 76mm MAF. I will say from what I read about the overall install on the supercharger it sounds like the smog delete kit can be a pain but fortunately mine has already been deleted!
Go to Vortechs website and read the install instructions. It should give you a decent idea of how hard of a job it should be.

· Registered
2,559 Posts
What is the rest of the parts on your car??

pro-m 80mm would be a good meter. 42 or 60's (no fmu) depending on current or planned HP requirements.yes an adj regulator is a good idea.

$1500 seems to be the normal going price for a Vortec.. if any questions, I suppose you could send it back to Vortech to be inspected.. (if it looks good, should be fine)

As far as the install goes.. if you have done any of the mods on your car, you can handle a blower install.. Lidio has a good rep.. but kinda $$$

If your going to take your car to get tuned, and I'm not saying not too, just make sure you have all of the bugs worked out.. I'm guessing you don't want to pay somebody to trouble shoot stupid stuff..

For some interesting reading check out the thread on the Pro-m system...

· Registered
678 Posts
Did a vortech install myself a cple yrs ago, not to bad just make sure you read up on this forum for what parts to go with fuel pump,inj mass air etc.This forum is like a mustang Encyclopedia any and everything you need to know is in here!!!! And great guys that'll help also Good luck and enjoy that s-trim!!And by the way if u take it to the dyno the guys recommend by no means take it 600.00 is pricey but remember u get what you pay for.To me peace of mine and knowing that it's right is priceless!!

· Registered
89 Posts
The exact supercharger kit you describe was recently on Ebay and was bid up to $2,800. I bid on it several times and bailed out after $1,500. I knew that couldn't have been the selling price, LOL!

I saw all of the pictures of what was included and I think you did good on the price. I was impressed by the ad. Everything was clean and laid out nice like the seller actually cared. I've been in the market for a Vortech and recently did purchase one, very similar to yours and for similar money. In all my searching for the right kit, I couldn't believe how many kits looked thrashed, sellers couldn't answer simple condition questions and the ads were atrocious.

Other than piercing the front corner of the oil pan and tapping the hole for an oil return fitting, installing these blowers isn't rocket science. Lots of nuts & bolts. If you're not too experienced with wiring, the MSD box may seem intimidating but it's really not bad.

It's been 10 years since the last time I installed one of these kits so I went to Vortech's website and printed the installation manual so I could get re-acquainted with all of the steps.

· Registered
3,019 Posts
I bought S-trim from Lidio at Alternative Auto, and he tuned mine for the Version-1 tune, when most of the engine was stock.
Later I had Greg Banish custom tune if for me for the next several mods.

[spam: as I am about to post to classifieds]
Got my 5.0L S-trim that I am parting out, with 80mm Maf and 42# injectors and headers and oilpan...
EMAIL me directly: DRUDIS at FORD dot COM

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.