Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I recently purchased a 2002 Blk on Blk GT 5-speed, actually about 8 days ago and, I just got done putting on a FIPK, I have been browsing the Forum and looking for the mod I should do next. What do u think the next best thing I can do is to it for more hp/tq. I was thinking the X-Pipe with a Cat back. Also what would void my warrenty or should I just ask my dealer.

Info about ME:
Just sold 1991 Dodge Stealth(so I could get a stang), and been wanting a Mustang for about 4 years. Living at home, no girlfriend, so I have alot of money(well more then I would if I was not). HEHE
no girlfriend/living at home = 2K2 Mustang

Love the site/forum, Hello all Mustang Lovers!!

2002 Mustang GT, Blk/Blk, 5 speed, FIPK, and thats it so far

·
Registered
470 Posts
If you have the $, I'd go straight for a roots-type blower with about 6lbs of boost!

·
Registered
285 Posts
I did the Bassani X and Cat-Back and my dealer was fine with it. The sound is excellent. My first mod was the Tri-Ax shifter from Steeda. I think that was my smartest mod yet. You will know what I mean when you make the switch from the sloppy stock shifter.

·
Registered
470 Posts
E-Z-Eroc said:
Thanks mrvax
Where would I go about getting one of those?
The roots blower really makes power quickly on the street. I saw some people here got a Roush blower for a very reasonable price. Start a thread "Where to get a Roots Blower".

Almost any mod you do will void the warrenty to some extent. One other thing you may wish to consider is gears. Moving up to 3.73s or 4.10s will really make a big difference and will only effect the warrenty on the rear end.

Then work out all the bugs in the car before you make a final decision.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Again mrvax
I will start the post sometime, if not I will just search the site, thanks for the info.:)

·
Registered
556 Posts
See mods below. All these have produced noticeable gains. The X pipe and Gears helped the most.

Have fun!
Jeff

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks nomore4bangers
But where should I buy the gears?
I was searching the net and seen:
Pro-5.0 Ring and Pinion 4.10 = $179.00
(over at partshopper.com)
Is that a good deal or are them a bad brand?

Oh and one more thing, u have a 02' Stang, with them mods right, how is ur warrenty still?

·
Registered
136 Posts
best hp gain for the dollar is the t/a, bottom line. best performance for the buck is 4.10 or 4.30 gears. Exhasust sounds great but 800 bucks for 10 rwhp if that.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Most people suggest Ford gears.

The exhaust and x-pipe is worth more like 20hp.

I do agree that the T/A is the best bang for the buck.

For warranty, I'm not too worried. It's a risk, but most of it can be removed if necessary.

Jeff

·
Registered
155 Posts
The kn was a good first step--first thing I did too. See my sig--if I had to do it over I would go sraight for the gear--4.10's--under $200 if you can install and it will feel like you added 100+ hp--it is by far the best bang for the buck--nothing else even comes close. gald to have you on board--this is a great forum with a great bunch of guys(and a few girls)--I have learned a lot from them. Keep us posted good luck ratman:joy:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
WLWK4MODS said:
best hp gain for the dollar is the t/a, bottom line. best performance for the buck is 4.10 or 4.30 gears. Exhasust sounds great but 800 bucks for 10 rwhp if that.
Stupid question time, First, been look around the forum and been trying to find out what t/a is, alot of people have this mod, what is it the apprevation for, a tire(just a guess).

Second where would i go about purchasing a FMS 3.73 gear, i mean like a web page, can someone post a link,( decided to get 3.73 over 4.10 cause of gas milage and dailing driving.)

Eric
________
2K2 GT Blk/Blk Premium Coupe
K/N FIPK, herst shift nope(hehe), tri-ax shifter in the mail.

·
Registered
556 Posts
T/A stands for Timing Adjuster. It's the modern equivalent of 'rotating the distributor'. It allows you to take advantage of high octane (91+ ) fuel. I think a couple of companies make them, but everyone I know is running the Steeda one. Go to www.steeda.com

You can get your gears from numerous places. I got mine from Gene Evans Ford www.gefracing.com Most places charge about the same price so it really doesn't matter. Stick with the Ford gears though.

Jeff

·
Registered
460 Posts
If you are running 90+ octane then you will be fine with the T/A.

As long as there is no detination you will want the timing advanced to around 14-15. Thats where I ran it in my 98.

I haven't installed it in my 02 yet, but will after I take my car back in since I need a few things fixed under warrenty first and don't want them to blame this.

It only takes a little while to install. I did it with the STEEDA pullies in less than an hour. It is very easy to adjust as well.

3.73 are are mistake? 4.10 seems like it would be too much on a daily driver, I was thinking of going with the 3.73 just to help gas milage a little and keep the rpm's lower when cruising at 80 on the highway.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts