Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Say I wanted to put the 3.4" pulley on...would the water/alcohol injection kit be necessary? I have heard that they aren't good for our blowers but I would like to NOT have my engine blow up due to high temps and I like the extra 25rhwp from the w/a injection.

So what's the deal with this stuff? Is it safe for a daily driver? How long do the containers last before you have to refill them?

If you know anything about them, please post.

·
Registered
149 Posts
There is a guy over on the Chicane website running alcohol injection on his roots Saleen.

chicanesport

Check out the tech talk section. I think his user name is SuperKaz

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
what do you want to know? i have thoroughly researched this subject and i am going to use it on my setup. it is not needed per se with the 3.4" pulley, but it will decrease the charge temps quite a bit. use a mixture of 60% water and 40% denatured alcohol. many will say not to run the mixture through the blower but i know of one person that has used the SMC kit on his car for over 60k miles with nary a problem. it will seal the blower up nicely too! i have driven his car and it feels like a small shot of juice when the mixture kicks in. for more info, go to www.turbobuick.com and browse the alky forum. also, contact steve chlupsa at the following website...
http://www.geocities.com/rad87gn/tech/SteveCkit.html
if you have any specific questions, just ask...ed clark and whitey2kgt use the kit also, but they do not have the svo blower. the problem some have with the kit is the car tends to bog at low rpms when the boost kicks in and the mist comes on b/c the CFM has not caught up with boost. you wont have this problem with the svo kit b/c running the mist thru the blower effectively cools the charge plenty before it gets into the cylinders unlike running the mist after the blower in the compressed air where the mist enters the cylinders in full force. both work, but running it thru the blower works best for our blowers. SMC will soon come out with a kit that increases pump speed with increasing RPM that will do away with those predescribed symptoms. i suggest a #5 nozzle to start, and if this proves too much, go down to a #3. just have steve send you a #2,3, and 5. use which works best. the bottle will need to be filled ~ every time you fill up with gas or a little longer.
david

·
Registered
321 Posts
Do you know how much more timing the SMC kit will generally allow you to run with 10# of boost? I have a 98 KB cobra and have been thinking of getting an SMC kit for a while now. I have the money now, and think I'll pick one up.

Paul

stroked or blown? said:
what do you want to know? i have thoroughly researched this subject and i am going to use it on my setup. it is not needed per se with the 3.4" pulley, but it will decrease the charge temps quite a bit. use a mixture of 60% water and 40% denatured alcohol. many will say not to run the mixture through the blower but i know of one person that has used the SMC kit on his car for over 60k miles with nary a problem. it will seal the blower up nicely too! i have driven his car and it feels like a small shot of juice when the mixture kicks in. for more info, go to www.turbobuick.com and browse the alky forum. also, contact steve chlupsa at the following website...
if you have any specific questions, just ask...ed clark and whitey2kgt use the kit also, but they do not have the svo blower. the problem some have with the kit is the car tends to bog at low rpms when the boost kicks in and the mist comes on b/c the CFM has not caught up with boost. you wont have this problem with the svo kit b/c running the mist thru the blower effectively cools the charge plenty before it gets into the cylinders unlike running the mist after the blower in the compressed air where the mist enters the cylinders in full force. both work, but running it thru the blower works best for our blowers. SMC will soon come out with a kit that increases pump speed with increasing RPM that will do away with those predescribed symptoms. i suggest a #5 nozzle to start, and if this proves too much, go down to a #3. just have steve send you a #2,3, and 5. use which works best. the bottle will need to be filled ~ every time you fill up with gas or a little longer.
david

·
Registered
321 Posts
Do you know how much more timing the SMC kit will generally allow you to run with 10# of boost? Currently, I am running 17 degrees total timing. I have a 98 KB cobra and have been thinking of getting an SMC kit for a while now. I have the money now, and think I'll pick one up.

Paul

stroked or blown? said:
david

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
it all depends on how your setup is running now...CR, boost, timing, fuel, and if excess heat is holding you back that much. get the kit and tinker with it. i have seen turbo guys being able to run 6* more timing with this kit and straight denatured alky. mainly these guys are running 4-6psi more boost while still using 93 octane gas. on your setup i would run 50/50 mixture and start out with 3* advance. work your way from there. also, get a small nozzle that effectively aerosolizes the mixture. if you can, plumb it into the compressed air side of the blower, cause your blower is much more efficient than mine. but you can run it thruteh blower if you decide to.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.