Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking at buying one of the 4.6L mustang, and have never really looked much at them. I was just wondering If you guys could maybe give me a quick run through of what I need to look for and what I need to avoid, as well as how much abuse a stock 4.6 can take. I was thinking of running a charger, or nitrous and just wanted to know how well the 4.6s take these mods in stock trim.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Although I have yet to run one myself, 4.6 2v's respond to blower with pretty amazing results. I tore into my engine trying to go all motor, and I wish I'd left it alone and done a blower for the same money I have into this, a mid 13 second car. On the punishment front, I have beat this car hard since I got it. I think if you run stock up to about 270-280 rwhp, you won't have too many failures of components. After that you might be looking for some tougher parts...

This is just my opinion on the subject but, If you want to go all motor, I suggest you get a 96-98gt and head swap it for 300+ possible rwhp. If you want a blower, then go with a 99+ car and just go straight for the blower and a good tune.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The thing about it is im a college student so at this point i really cant afford to find out what the stock stuff can handle. I want to play but don't want to pay but you know how that is. I was looking mainly in the 10-13K range for the car, so I think a 99 and up is kind of out of the question.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I have seen 99's for 12k in the last couple of months..

96/97's are going for even cheaper...but to get anything out of them, you really have to consider doing the PI headswap.

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
The Mod motors respond very well to mods. As far as the abuse of the stock parts goes it will all depend on your set up and your tune. These cars are all computer controlled and if you are putting in Nitrous or a Supercharger then you better have a Good tune so the engine doesn't blow the first time you get on it.
Overall the 99+ GT's will have better flowing heads and respond better to mods than the choking heads of the 96-98 4.6 motors.
Of course like someone mentioned you can always do a headswap on those motors and get pretty good results.
Overall the 99+ GT's with a few basic mods will put down about 238-243 RWHP with about 278 - 282 lbs of torque. If you add a Poweradder into the equation you can easily get above 320-360HP depending on your other mods and tune.
Also if you want to play you will have to pay. Be prepared to replace parts when they go out and expect excessive wear on the engine parts especially the weakest parts of your engine.
The Connecting Rods and the Pistons.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh I really don't mind paying it just comes with the territory but that is assuming i have money, which after the purrchase will be in fairly short supply. As far as the tune depending on what you mean Is going to be hard as there are no tune shops around here that I'm aware of.

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
The Fordchip.com Guys can help you tune your beast. Check out your site and see if they will be in an area near you. They do travel. If anything else fails you can have it tuned via a chip via Mail but I would recommend a Dynotune if you can swing it.
Much more reliable than a trial an error tune via Mail.

A good tune is only required if you do go with a Poweradder like Nitrous or a Supercharger. With the normal type mods you will not require a retune. Your air/fuel curves should be fine with simple bolt ons like exhaust, CAI, timing adjuster, etc.....

Personally, if you can I would most definitely go with a 99+ GT.
As far as Mod motor goes you are already one step ahead and don't have to worry about a head swap.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is so weird to me just last year I was elbow deep in my chevelles motor now im sitting here considering what my best choice of F.I. mustangs is. Its a tough change to go from carb to all this crap I've never messed with before lol.

Thanks for your help guys.

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
Yup, it's a lot easier to tinker with an old Carbureted Chevy then a modern Modular Fuel injected computer controlled Stang ;)
Now the tuning is tune electronically via a few laptops and a dyno.
No need of getting down and dirty ;)

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
The 99+ GT's totally stock will run low to mid 14's With a few bolt ons and Drag Radials you can be in the high 13's easy.
Add some Nitrous or a Supercharger and you should be in the mid to high 12's. With a little more mods like a Bullitt intake, better fuel pump, Powerpipe and a few other goodies such as some ET Streets and suspension mods and 11's shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Please forgive all the questions you probably think are stupid, lol only way to learn is ask. I don't trust the perfect world car magazines, in the land of free heads and blowers they found laying on the shelf. Why the hell did they make the intakes out of plastic?

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
newstanger said:
Please forgive all the questions you probably think are stupid, lol only way to learn is ask. I don't trust the perfect world car magazines, in the land of free heads and blowers they found laying on the shelf. Why the hell did they make the intakes out of plastic?

actually, a better and quicker way would be for you to just sit back and do some research. The "new stang owner" questions are plentiful and can be found using the search button.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Sting is giving you good advice. It definitely looks like he knows what he is doing with his 00 GT. Stock 4.6l GTs will not run with stock F-body cars. You'll need some grunt to keep up with those guys. If you run a power adder, get a good fuel system and a great tune. Don't run any more than 8psi boost or 100HP N20 with a stock shortblock. Trust me, I learned the hard way.

As far as the plastic intake goes, it makes good low end torque and is lightweight compared to filling the valley between the heads with some type of metal intake. Plus, it cheaper to make too. Bad thing is there isn't many aftermarket choices for intakes on 99-up cars (Reichard Racing is only one I know of). Get a 99-up car and you won't be dissapointed. Then put a blower on it and you'll really love it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts