Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys and Gals,

I'm a Mopar guy that needs a bit of help. We just picked up a 69 Mustang for my Mother. It has a 351 W in it with a C4 and a 9". The motor has some water in the oil and it hasn't been on the road for the last 3 years. It runs rough and lays down over load. The plugs are a carbened some, but good. I'm going to clean to fuel lines, replace the fuel filter, put in new points, cap and rotors, and check over the vac. lines in the morning. I'm going to do a compression test on it too.

#1. What is the firing order for a 351 W?

#2. If the motor is bad We are thinking of putting in a 302 in it's place. Will the motor mounts work on the 302 or will they need to be changed?

#3. The front end is loose, is there anyone thing on the front that is the main reason for this or is it just the whole front end being worn out?

#4. Is the tranny mounting holes on a 351 W the same as a 302 or will the tranny need to be changed as well to go with the 302?

#5. Is there any parts on the 351 that will work on a 302? I.E. oil pan, headers, pulleys. Ect.

Thanks For any help that can be given.

·
Registered
348 Posts
ok,

firing order is. 13726548 with the #1 cylinder on the passenger side cylinder bank.
the cylinder #'s are 1234 on the passenger side and 5678 on the drivers side.

motor mounts are the same.

is the loose you are talking about in the steering or suspension? its probably a combo of both. since the car is 34 years old. :D

to check for play in the steering lift the front of the car and grab a wheel and wiggle it.

also if you sit on one fender of the car it should not compress more than an inch or so.

the bellhousing bolt pattern should be the same for a 351w and a 302. 5 bolt bell housing i think.

heads can interchange, the head bolts are different size but they make bolts for the swap, headers should swap.
the brackets will be different. but there are aftermarket cheapo brackets.

if you buy a late model 302 (5.0) make note that it uses 50 oz imbalance flywheel and balancer as compared to 28 oz the 351w uses. the earlier 302's were 28 oz.

intakes are different.

thats about all i can think of at 2 am...

got pics btw?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help.

I got it all checked out and it is getting water in the oil from somewhere.

I have a line on a 351 W out of a 91 Crown Vic. Are there any differences in a 69 to a 91 351? Will the long block work in a 69 Mustang? IE. headers, intake, mounts. ect.

I will try to put up some pics.

Thanks Brent

·
Registered
348 Posts
the incompatable parts can be swapped over from the old motor.

the waterpump should be different, timing cover is to.

you should use the older heads.

cant think of anything else.

oh, the cam might be different for the efi.

have you pulled the heads off the old motor?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I haven't pulled it apart yet. I looked at the 351 in the crown vic today and heard it run, it looks to be a good motor. It has a carb not EFI. What's the difference in the heads?

It has serpentine pulley and the acc. that I would like to use in the Mustang if they will fit.

The 69 351 has a edelbrock performer on it that I would like the use with the 91 351.

How hard would it be to swap to the electronic distributor in the Mustang? And what other parts do I need other then the distributor?

Thanks For your help. Brent

·
Registered
348 Posts
the 69 heads have bigger valves and smaller chambers. plus no egr junk.

the intake should bolt right up no problem.

as for an electronic distributor, i would swap in a ford duraspark set up. you can buy the module for $20. and the dist for around $35.

i think it was 74 and up that they went to the duraspark in the 302 and 351w. make sure you get the blue plug module if you do it.

wiring it up is not to difficult.

i am not to sure about the serpentine system. for some reason i think the waterpump is reverse rotation.
but i am not sure about that.

i do know that the outlet and inlet are in different spots.

here is a pic of the duraspark wiring set up.
its for either a 67 or a 66. i cant remember since i did my 67 right after i did my neighbors 66. :D

sorry, i cant find the pic right now. i will look for it in a bit.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Brent,

Just my .02 here... If the 351 is the original motor - I'd stick with that if possible. (For re-sale value.) When you say "bad", I'm guessing you mean a cracked block - but the reason for the oil/water milkshake could be as simple as a blown head gasket.

I'd yank the motor, tear it down, and send the block/heads to a shop for a magna-flux check. If it's all good - rebuild that.

Yeah - the older Mustang steering is not great. I'm currently restoring my '67 and I've ordered a bunch of new steering components. One culprit can be the steering box - which does have an adjustment to tighten the worm gear. But if it's been sitting for years and everything is original - it's probably a combo of everything. My '67's biggest problem (most play) looks to be a shot/worn power-valve.

Good luck with your project! Mark

1 - 7 of 7 Posts