Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats up guys & gals! new to corral & wanted to thro out there
that ive converted my 88 2.3 auto to 5.0 w/ 5speed w/ efi. also swapped the rear to 8.8 & the interior from red to grey. if anyone has questions on this swap, let me know, im sure i can help.
also have alot of experience dealing w/ mustang missfires & idle surging. maybe ill be of some use to some of you!!!!!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Welcome!!! Your name is a very cool song, BTW.......

Good Luck with your Stang, we're all here to and for help.

Matt

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey I am working on an 86, I am picking up a v6 convert on friday, I want to swap in my v8 from and 86 gt other than the electronics what will I need to swap, ( suspension or rear)?

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
swap

i think u can use the k member in the car.are you also using the
v8 tranny & rear? what about exhaust. youll need dual exhaust hangers for the pass side. need to swap the fuel lines from the 5.0 as well as the tank. 5.0 sway bars would be nice.your project sounds very straight forward.keep me posted on progress & any questions!

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
4cyl to 5.0 list

this is the list i have gathered both by looking in magazines and around the corral

change from 4cyl to 5.0....

tranny
motor and all v8 components (obviously..)
all exhaust components (obviously..)
v8 motor mounts
change the tach
master cylinder, brake booster
suspension
brakes
fuel lines
fuel pump ???
brake lines - on the 4cyl the brake lines are dangerously close to the exhaust pipe
passenger side exhaust hanger
power steering pump - not mandetory, but the v8 one is better
rad
front and rear sway bars
vacuum distributer (vacuum tree or whatever)
the v8 has a thing in the passenger fender wall to store extra vacuum along with the regular vacuum ball
throttle cable
MAP sensor
the gas pedals that came with the 5.0's are bigger as well.
rear end
5sp drive shafts are the same in the 4cyl and v8, so i have been told
electrical, you have to have the engine harness' from a 5.0, the rest hooks right up except you have to extend the alternator wire because its on the drivers side with a 4cyl, and the passenger side on the v8.
double hump tranny cross member

gas tanks are the same, K members are the same

and ofcourse 5.0 badges :cool:

anything i have missed.. throw it in
anything i have screwed up on, correct it.

with my swap, i am using the whole chassis, dash, and engine harness from a 5.0 so it won't be nearly as difficult. but the regular swap shouldnt be too bad anyways.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey dont scare me that actually sounds a little hard to do. I am working with a V6 car and I have a complete V8 car so I should have all the parts I need. wish me luck

rico4114

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ok I picked up my v6 convert. A few questions?
Are the transmissions for the 6 and 8 the same.
How much of the wiring harness is the same, Are they the same in the dash the engine bay is wired differently, I wonder how hard it will be to change?
I read in a haynes manual the 6 and 8 cylinder cars hac the same fuel pressure and both have to lines, although in a slightly differnt place in the engine copartment. Do I still need to change the tank and the lines?

What was the hardest part in the 4 to 8 swap?
thanks in advance

rico4114
:D

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
swap

you have an 86 v6 car. is the donor car an 86 w/ 5.0? if so, go w/ efi. grab the engine harness & computer, remove & reinstall the 5.0 efi fuel lines & gas tank. the hardest part of doing both my engine swaps was working the new motors w/ trannys connected into the engine bay w/ the engine puller.
you dont need to change dash boards or anything like that.
some people go that way but they are making the swap MUCH MUCH MUCH harder than it really is.if you have a v8 donor car w/ efi that isnt an 86, go efi anyway & get an 86 efi engine harness & computer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
need some assistance

I have a 93 mustang LX and am looking to swap the 4cyl for the V-8 and need some assistance on where to start or a order in which I should do things in, this will be a long process but an exciting one I am just needing to get a starting point.:confused:
thank you for any assistance that you can provide

·
Registered
389 Posts
I am doing a v6 to v8 conversion right now. I got a sweet deal on the car (a 1985 convertible). I also SCORED a 5.0 motor with 40K miles for $300.00

I read that if you are doing a 4 cyl swap you need to change the fuel lines. On my v6 there are already two plastic fuel lines on the passenger side. Can I use these or will my V8 need the steel lines due to the pressure?

Also the 4cyl swap need you to change the brake lines because they are on the passenger side. I think the v6 are on the drivers side. Do I have to change the brake lines like you do on a 4 cyl swap?

I got a computer harness from a 1992 mustang automatic. The harness is the same year as the motor. My V6 alternator is on the passenger side but the starter solenoid is on the passenger side. Can I untape the harness and pull the wires that go to the solenoid back to the drivers side and shorten them? Or will I have to find the body harness for a 1986 v8?

Lastly, On my 1990 5.0 LX the computer harness plugs into the body harness by the brake booster with a gray and black 8 pin connector. Will I have to use these connectors to tie into anything on my V6?

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
swap

you need to start off w/ a complete donor car [wreck ] 90-93
perferably for ease of wiring harnesses. w/ a whole parts car
youll have everything you need in 1 place. getting parts 1 at a time will drive you crazy & your project will never get done. make sure your doner car has all emissions & parts to do swap. the 4 cyl tranny wont work

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
swap

MATT r u going w/ injection? you should get a wiring harness
from a 86 5.0 to match the dash harness connectors & run matching computer. the 92 wiring harness has a dirrerent location fot the fuel pump relay, it under the hood by the airfilter box. is your 86 v6 already injected? if not you have a long project ahead of you because you need all the efi wiring for the fuel pump, fuel pump relay, & other stuff related to efi & relays. if you car is originally carbed, go w/ a carb-itll be easier. if you go w/ efi, yes, the 5.0 metal fuel lines need to be installed.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Yes, I want to go with the EFI and I want to stick with Mass air so that is why I am am using a 92 harness. I am not too familiar with the 1986 fuel injection.

Can I get a 1986 EFI computer harness and have it work with my 1992 motor? Will I be able to convert the harness to mass air via a mass air kit?

Like I said, I have the 1992 5.0 motor and motor harness, and a 1992 EFI computer harness.

I want to get this to work in my 1985 convert (origianlly a 3.8 v6)

If I need to run wires (make a harness) for the fuel pump/relay and inertia switch then I can do that.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Well, I am just finishing my 'swap out darn near everything' project.

The main lesson I learned while doing my project.

DO NOT THROW ANYTHING AWAY UNTIL THE PROJECT IS COMPLETE!

Good luck guys.

·
Registered
389 Posts
This is what I wish to accomplish, Can you assist me by answering each one of my questions individually and in detail.

I have a 1985 Mustang convertible that originally had CFI 3.8 V6. The motor has been removed from the car along with the 3.8 computer and computer harness.

I have a 1990 Mustang 5.0 with 41K miles on it. The motor has the complete injector harness and HEGO harness attached.

I have a 1988 EFI wiring harness (computer harness). I will want to convert this to Mass Air.

I have a 1990 computer (automatic)

I understand that I will need, a inertia switch, and that I will need to tie this all into the fuel pump and relay.

1) Since my car was a 3.8 V6 the alternator is on the passenger side of the vehicle. The starter solenoid is also on the passenger side (we will call this the body harness). Can I untape the harness, leave the alternator wires on the passenger side, pull back the wires that connect to the solenoid (shorten them via removing the excess section and soldering them back together)? Or should I find a V8 body harness for a 1986 mustang?

2) on the computer harness there are two 8 pin connectors by the brake booster (one gray one black) Do I need to tie anything in these connectors(wires) to the v6 body harness? ( I also have a 1990 5.0 lx, I often use it for refference, the two 8 pin connectors connect to the body harness that goes to the starter solenoid.)

3) If I find a 1986 mustang with EFI and I take the computer and body harness out of it can I convert the 1986 EFI harness to Mass air?

4) Does anyone live in MA, knows about this, and willing to make a few bucks to help me out? :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey, how is it going? I am starting a v6 to v8 swap both 1986 convertibles. I was wondering about the fuel lines also the Haynes manual I have says the fuel pressures are the same for the v6 and the v8.

I think I will pull the motor and trans at once put in the v6 body and then start with the wiring any suggestions? Any other sugestions or good tips appreciated.

Rico4114

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
swaps

WOW guys, let me see, MATT, use the 86 5.0 engine harness so it wll plug into the dash harness connectors behind the drivers strut tower & use 86-88 non mass air computer & yes it can be modified to use mass air [ conversion ].
if you have an external voltage regulator you may be able to use alternator for 85 5.0 & i think it will connect properly.

rico4114
i recommend using the 5.0 fuel lines. they may have same psi but are in different locations & connect differenly i believe. use the entire 86 eng harness & computer. it should plug into connectors behind drivers strut tower.

reguarding cfi-i know nothing about that type of efi setup so not sure of what wiring for the fuel pump & relay & inertia switch.maybe something already exists there that you can use
because im not sure.

i know its not in my sig. because i just noticed but i did my swap on an 88 lx hatch but i still know my way around earlier cars & engine swaps are the same on these cars from 79-93. the tricky part is to decide on efi or carb! now ill fix my sig.
BTW---where in mass do you live.i live in NH.:cool:

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I have a couple of questions please.

i have 93 coupe 4 banger that i wish to swap a v-8 into.

What about relays by computer will the 93 harness just have all these plugs?? I am using a 93 computer and 93 computer harness.

What about ignition coil harness?? ( 4banger is DIS)
is there any misc wiring i may need to do besides just buying harnesses and connecting??
i have enigne and tranny and fuel lines, and other misc stuff. i have read that you need to use 93 harnesses because of diff fuel relay problems and air bag problems, any truth to this?

if there are any particular problems you had what were they so i know what to look out for. Thanks alot very very much i reallly do apprciate any help that i can get.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
the realys near the computer are nothing to worry about. jusy remove the 2.3 eng. harness & computer & put the 5.0 harness & computer in its place. the coil harnessis in the 5.0 harness-you will see the plug & just use a stock coil for a 5.0. the fuel pump relay for 91-93 cars is in the engine harness & in 87-90 cars its under the seat so you are allset there. honestly, i think the trickiest part about the swap was installing the fuel lines!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts