Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mods in sig. HCI the car is slow, i ran a best of [email protected] today

I just put on the intake accufab 75mm TB , pro m 75mm mass air, and 30# injectors.

i have timing at 18 and FP around 32 or so with vac line off. no pinging, and i get good traction with the slicks. I can not believe how slow its running.

I was running a second faster with my procharger and stock intake and TB. i know i do not have forced induction any more, but the car should be around a 12.8 or better right?

i am about to go all out ordering suspension parts because a 1.9 60ft sucks.

any ideas of why car is sooo slow?

thanks

·
Registered
7,708 Posts
You might be bogging pretty hard if you got a 1.9 on slicks, that would explain the low MPH. Something isnt right, the MPH is too low. You might need to work on shift points and things too.

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
That intake is way too big for your combo.Put a cobra intake with a ported lower and you will pickup.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Big intake, big throttle body, big injectors and f cam with small Windsor Jr heads is not the most efficient combo. Your low mph shows that you really arent making much power.
Dont fall prey to the bigger is better mentality as small stuff works. Look at guys going high 12's with stock stuff.
Time to rethink your combo.
Your 1.9 60 foot isnt bad so suspension stuff isnt going to help.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well what if i do a afr 165 with an anderson cam or fti cam? i know that the intake and TB is way to big, i was planning on changing heads and cam later, but it looks like i should do it now

any other opinions or suggestions?

thanks

·
Registered
521 Posts
I do not think the intake is your problem. I think it has to do with you not leaving hard enough. I am not sure of the flow potential of the windsor jrs though. I think the 30lb injectors are fine also cause i have seen them work fine on many mild combos. I think you should be able to run around 12.5 at 105 or 106 on a good pass. I would deff recommend upgrading your heads if ur budget allows you will not regret it.

·
Registered
7,198 Posts
I agree that it is all in the combination. The cross section of those little heads vs. that intake is costing you. A better set of heads and a good matched cam is one answer. OR try to maximize what you have.....its up to you.

Capmorgan89.....ever run your combo or dyno it??? I'm putting together something similar.....

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
The Holley is too big for AFR 165s also.185s maybe .A correctly ported Cobra you will prob pick up 2-4 mph

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
I ran 103mph with a stock longblock and very little port work to Cobra intake.With the right intake you should easily get 105-107 out of it.I assume you have upgraded springs on the Jr's?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i am going to go ahead and get new heads, what would be a good match for the holley, i know the pure street guys are running afr 165s or twisted wedge heads. I would also like to go with a cheap cam not a custom grind that will cost me like 350 i would rather spend like 20 on an anderson or steeda

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
The pure street guys are running ported 165s and ported TWs on high compression motors .You would be better off selling your Holley and buying a better suited intake,Cobra or Edelbrock performer even if you put the AFRs on it.That intake is killing your power !

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
32psi off vacuum....seems a little low doesnt it?

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Just curious.....how is the Holley intake too big and hurting power?

I have the opposite problem....intake too small. And it's killing me.

I just don't want to go too big myself.

·
Registered
7,198 Posts
Again it is all about the combo. AND also your goals.....

I recently had lengthy conversations with different reliable sources and most agreed that the Holley is the intake to have DEPENDING on your goals. If maximum torque is your goal, then the holley won't be the best. Personally I'll give up a little down low and take the 12-15hp gain in the higher rpms.

Also when you get into strokers, the intake starts to act smaller. On my carbed 331, I ran a victor jr (rated from 4,000 to 8,000 rpm range) and I shifted that car at 6,400. The vic jr. killed a ebrock rpm and a weiand stealth(probably the best dual plane small block intake) on an engine dyno. That engine made over 400ft lbs of torque from 3,900 - 5,300 (or so) with a peak of 422, and made 445hp at 6,100.....

With the right setup those "big" intakes can really shine.........

I'll be running the holley with my TW heads, decent cam, and a 306/331 soon enough......I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Somethings wrong, my stock motor trapped 103 and ran 13.0, my new combo which isnt much more trapped 106 and went 12.6. Time to tune it and see where the issues are. I dont know about how well the parts match, but bigger is not always better!

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Smaller TB on a big intake will prob only make it worse.Sell your heads and intake and Get the AFRs and a smaller intake .

·
Registered
6,395 Posts
gnvair
said it all in less words

in my opinion
what you have are two problems one is tuning and two your combo is off. if i were you i'd get rid of that intake, tb, and injectors.

swap them for a something smaller like a cobra or edelbrock intake, get a 65mm tb, and 24lb injectors (recalibrate your MAF for the 24lb injectors). this should give you plenty of torque with that 302 and easier to tune with the 24lbs.

by the way 32psi in the rails is a risk because you need to feed all the injectors consistantly with fuel pressure.

if youre running rich with 38psi then you have to look elsewhere for the problem (MAF calibration issue). running slightly lean can be cured by increasing the pressure but thats about it.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Not trying to Hi-Jack the thread,but, what do you guys think about my combo? Is my ported stock lower enough or do I need an Explorer, Edelbrock, GT-40, etc?

I know I have stock Transmission issues to deal with, but, that's later.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Speeds8erM-1 said:
You might be bogging pretty hard if you got a 1.9 on slicks, that would explain the low MPH. Something isnt right, the MPH is too low. You might need to work on shift points and things too.
well my first time at the track i was running 103 mph too with a 13.4 with a 1.99 60 ft and it was bogging badly i would come out at 3500 and it would bog to 2000 or so and i know i have good power i had 301 rwhp and 317 rwtq im going back soon since i have 31 splines and a eaton and a girtle in the rear so i will launch at 5000 or so, because i bogged so badly is that why my mph is down so much???? i was shifting at 6000 thanks

1 - 20 of 39 Posts