Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Holley announced today that they've got new versions of the Terminator X and Terminator X Max for Ford engines.

https://www.facebook.com/HolleyPerformance/videos/2431243333663989/

https://www.holley.com/brands/holley_efi/products/fuel_systems/fuel_injection/terminator_x/terminator_x_and_x_max_ford_kits/

I don't know much of anything other than what's in the links above, but I know the Terminator X systems are already quite popular with the GM crowd.

I'm very interested in this for my '89 GT. I've had a TweecerRT for years, but just haven't learned how to tune it properly and don't have the time to fiddle with it. Too many other project cars. The base map that the Terminator X develops I'm sure isn't perfect, but based on installs I've read about on ls1tech, it sounds like it'll get you up and running pretty easily. I imagine it'll be better than the tune I've got now, and I'll be able to get rid of the 30-year-old wiring harness.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
This is looking to be a pretty solid deal. The only downside if you're on the lower budget option is still having to use the TFI distributors but if somebody could just come out with a good TFI distributor, this would be an easy win.

My major hangup with all of the current PnP setups is the fact that you're still using a 30 year old harness so including the harness is very important in my opinion and holley harnesses have shown to be pretty reliable. I've tuned dominator systems before and the interface is pretty simple. Not laid out as well as tunerstudio (megasquirt & speeduino) in my opinion but still easy to navigate and pretty user friendly.

I've been hoping DIYAutoTune or Stinger would come out with a modern MS3 variant that includes a harness like this but considering their current pricing, I'm not sure they'd be able to compete.

·
Registered
7,300 Posts
Do the Holley. I would've ordered mine yesterday but I just dumped over 2 grand into a new garage cabinet/bench set. In a few weeks I get mine on the way. I'm so excited to up the level, my car has needed it for years. The tweecer/binary editor has been a great combination and has kept my car running safe and well. But I'm to a point with modifications now where I need a bit more in terms of logging and ease of use. I don't have the time like I used to. For what you get it's a screaming deal. Replacing a fox harness alone is $500.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I just recently bought a PIMPXS ECU and all the stuff for it. Just got the last connector last week in the mail. Now this comes out and I do t know what to install in my fox...... decisions decisions.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
310 Posts
Completely stoked about this - my 83 has never been FI, will go this route over one of the new TBI units, and was seriously considering the new MPFI Edelbrock ProFlow 4 prior to this being released. May even go with thier new intake upper and lower setup with a port match to my AFR 205's. Now to come up with the 2500 or so I need to do all that I'm wanting to do lol.

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
I just recently bought a PIMPXS ECU and all the stuff for it. Just got the last connector last week in the mail. Now this comes out and I do t know what to install in my fox...... decisions decisions.....

Firs t hing I thought when I read this. was you telling me you bought a PIMP system. LOL! Send that stuff back get the Holley!! Even I'm thinking about it.

·
Registered
602 Posts
You read my mind. I got a red hatch that’s getting an auto and the Max system would be perfect. After all, it’s just a cruiser....

·
Registered
2 Posts
ordered the terminator X this evening. had been looking at the pro m setup but couldn't justify the $. this is exactly. what I wanted for my setup. stock block, HCI, v1 s-trim, tko trans. after watching a few videos of the ls guys installing and setting it up I was sold

·
Administrator
53,617 Posts
I have one for my '92 LX. This will be the third Holley System I have, running the Dominator on my Procharged '95 Lightning, Have the HP on my '92 GT. For the money the Terminator X is a great value.
As far as the TFI distributor goes, Holley's Dual-Sync distributor works outstanding and also can be used if you decide to go to CNP at some point.

Will post up once I get the Terminator X installed.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Very curious to see how well the auto tune works in real world and street driving. If this system does a good job with street manners, then it's really a no brainer in my book. Please keep posted if you're installing one.

·
Administrator
53,617 Posts
Very curious to see how well the auto tune works in real world and street driving. If this system does a good job with street manners, then it's really a no brainer in my book. Please keep posted if you're installing one.

"Auto tune" is kind of a misleading term- The system cannot magically tune your car. The correct fuel and spark tables need to be setup, and yes the wizard can create a starting point, but the "learn" function is going to do what you tell it to and it's only the FUEL table, it will not tune your timing table. So if you enter target A/F ratios in your cells that aren't safe, you can screw up your motor because that's what the learn function is going to target. With that said, there's so many people running Holley EFI and there's a ton of excellent support, if you aren't sure what do you can get a lot of help online. There's excellent support groups on Facebook as well as the Holley support forums...

·
Formerly LSNotch
830 Posts
"Auto tune" is kind of a misleading term- The system cannot magically tune your car. The correct fuel and spark tables need to be setup, and yes the wizard can create a starting point, but the "learn" function is going to do what you tell it to and it's only the FUEL table, it will not tune your timing table. So if you enter target A/F ratios in your cells that aren't safe, you can screw up your motor because that's what the learn function is going to target. With that said, there's so many people running Holley EFI and there's a ton of excellent support, if you aren't sure what do you can get a lot of help online. There's excellent support groups on Facebook as well as the Holley support forums...
Agreed! The auto tune feature on most systems is just something to get you going, BUT you really have to know what you are doing. I consider it deceiving because most people think it just plug and "auto tune" and you're good to go. Most VE tables need to be manually smoothed or adjusted. It's like the old saying garbage in = garbage out. My MS has a tool that creates a base VE table, but still needs a lot of work since it's not perfect. The auto tune will help you to about 75% and the other 25% is you manually tuning it.

·
Registered
226 Posts
This is on my wish list as well. I really just want it to be able to Data log at the track. Not sure how much better it will run with my current stock engine. I would like to add a turbo in the future.

Looking forward to seeing these in the wild!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Thanks, [email protected] and Impetuous, that's good info. I'm actually glad it requires you to be hands on, because I am somewhat capable as Ive played with the tweecer and QH before, so I'm not scared of it. I'm assuming it uses the same or similar software as the Holley EFI?

From from what anyone can tell, is street driveability possible to dial in so that it's smooth, or does that not so easy? I'm sure it depends on the combo, but my biggest gripe with piggy backs is that knowing what tables to adjust for smooth operation is a can of worms depending on what PCM you're working on. It's aggravating frankly.

·
Administrator
53,617 Posts
Thanks, [email protected] and Impetuous, that's good info. I'm actually glad it requires you to be hands on, because I am somewhat capable as Ive played with the tweecer and QH before, so I'm not scared of it. I'm assuming it uses the same or similar software as the Holley EFI?

From from what anyone can tell, is street driveability possible to dial in so that it's smooth, or does that not so easy? I'm sure it depends on the combo, but my biggest gripe with piggy backs is that knowing what tables to adjust for smooth operation is a can of worms depending on what PCM you're working on. It's aggravating frankly.
My Fox with Holley HP idles and drives beautifully.

Here is link to the Terminator X software, you can download free and mess with it:
https://documents.holley.com/techlibrary_terminatorx1.0.102setup.zip

Be aware however- You need to purchase the Holley 558-443 USB to CAN adapter if you want to tune the Terminator X with a laptop instead of the handheld... This does not apply to HP or Dominator systems.

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/fuel_injection/sniper_efi/sniper_efi_service_components/parts/558-443

·
Administrator
53,617 Posts
Anyone know if the foxbody specific harness can be bought and used with the hp ECU?
The J1A and J1B pinouts are all the same on Terminator X, HP and Dominator ECU's so it should work, but I am pretty sure that you can't buy it separately yet. Why would you want to go that route with an HP? I have an HP on my '92 GT, if you have any wiring questions just ask,

·
Registered
281 Posts
The J1A and J1B pinouts are all the same on Terminator X, HP and Dominator ECU's so it should work, but I am pretty sure that you can't buy it separately yet. Why would you want to go that route with an HP? I have an HP on my '92 GT, if you have any wiring questions just ask,
I have the 550-606N. I was just thinking the foxbody specific harness would be more plug and play( for iac,etc) and the wire lengths would be the correct length for under seat ECU mounting. Did you use sbf harness that comes with 550-606 if so how was the fitment?

1 - 20 of 140 Posts