Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had issue with laptop that initially installed a ProM unit back in 2017. We are now trying to access ECU to view calibration and settings but after fresh software install on a Windows Surface tablet , the ECU will not connect via CanBus and USB adapter. The tablet makes noise when cord attached , but you can't see the ECU as an option to view folders.

Could I missing some key or something that is required to unlock the ECU so software can connect?

Pat

·
Registered
138 Posts
So when you open the ProM software on the tablet, with it connected to the PCM, you're still getting the message Connect USB box to computer? Did you install the Canelope driver? You will need to install this to communicate with the PCM.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So when you open the ProM software on the tablet, with it connected to the PCM, you're still getting the message Connect USB box to computer? Did you install the Canelope driver? You will need to install this to communicate with the PCM.
I get no message , just when say try open a calibration folder the only search option is the C: drive and nothing from ECU itself. What is Canelope driver , would it have been included in initial materials from Pro-M or can I download from them now .

Pat

·
Registered
138 Posts
It would have been included in the original installation instructions. I'm guessing if this was from 2017, then you are using the old software. Unless you added the supplemental harness then you'd be using the new Insight software. If my memory serves me correctly there were instructions on how to update the Canelope driver and where to go to get the drivers on your computer as the install puts the necessary files under a specific folder. The Canelope driver is the driver to allow the Canbus to communicate with the computer.

I'm not sure how a tablet works but if it's the same as a desktop/laptop, you can go into your Device Manager to check if it's recognizing it. With the USB plugged into your tablet and the key in the On position, go into the Device Manager and under Universal Serial Bus controllers, you should see one that says Canelope, if it has a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark then it's not recognizing the driver. Then you'll want to follow the instructions to update the driver.

Reactions: Foot Hill

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It would have been included in the original installation instructions. I'm guessing if this was from 2017, then you are using the old software. Unless you added the supplemental harness then you'd be using the new Insight software. If my memory serves me correctly there were instructions on how to update the Canelope driver and where to go to get the drivers on your computer as the install puts the necessary files under a specific folder. The Canelope driver is the driver to allow the Canbus to communicate with the computer.

I'm not sure how a tablet works but if it's the same as a desktop/laptop, you can go into your Device Manager to check if it's recognizing it. With the USB plugged into your tablet and the key in the On position, go into the Device Manager and under Universal Serial Bus controllers, you should see one that says Canelope, if it has a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark then it's not recognizing the driver. Then you'll want to follow the instructions to update the driver.
Thanks for this , now to get the old attachments from Pro-M to this tablet.

Cheers

Pat

1 - 5 of 5 Posts