Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just dropped the $400 on a new radiator and car still runs too hot.:confused: I have bled the air out several times. What am I doing wrong? I filled it from the resevoir and have filled it from the crossover pipe. Any ideas? I also have the fan mod that keeps the fan on high.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Man, 21 views and no info! I have read all the radiator posts, but no clear reason yet.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I have'nt done anything to my cooling system except water wetter, but I think it still runs hot also( around the Ist leg of the "A" on normal driving, since the supercharger. One thing I have considered is the"Evans" water pump for the 4.6. Heven't heard much about it from the Corral. You might check on that.

Bryan 97 Cobra

·
Registered
654 Posts
Did you also get the thermostat from Steeda? I got one from them last week that's supposed to be a 180, but in a pot of water opened at the same time as the stock one around 190-195!

I have yet to find a correctly sized, 180 degree thermostat.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
You can get the T-stat from a 97 Contour 4cyl I believe. Exact same size and it is 180* I think that is it anyways. Do a search for "Is 160* stat too cold for cobra" or something along those lines. The 180* stat from the Contour was mentioned in that thread.

Dave--- I feel your pain man! I have a 180* stat, bypass holes drilled, Steeda Radiator, and just put the stock Air Dam on(was missing when I bought the car) and the thing still runs at 210*F. I also have been running Water Wetter from day 1 of my ownership. I have burped and filled, burped and filled and still hasn't got any better.

The air dam really helps cool it down when the car is moving. If I am beating on the car via racing or just spirited driving, it will shoot up to 210*, but usually it will now stay around 195* while cruising. Before the Air Dam was installed, it would go up to and sometimes above 210*F all the time. But as I said, the Air Dam helps bring the temp down at speed and it also keeps it about 10-15*F cooler than before. If you are missing your Air Dam, they can be found at your dealership for like $12 or so.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Is that 210 temp in traffic or while driving? I have the Fluidyne radiator with the 180 tstat and in traffic, it goes over 215 degrees. The stock radiator was going over 225 and the idiot guage never moved from stright up! I think 210-215 in traffic is fine in summer. If you are getting these temps under steady state driving, then there may be something else. Wht are you using to measure the temp? Autotap or just another guage?

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have the high side of the fan switched to stay on.

I have an autometer temp guage.

The temp pretty much stays the same in all driving conditions.

I HAVE A THEORY!

I bought a radiator cap from Discount to go on the radiator. The stock radiator doesn't have a cap. A cap will block the return or feed (whichever it is) to the resevoir.

What do you think?

·
Registered
696 Posts
docdave22 said:
I have the high side of the fan switched to stay on.
That doesn't mean the fan is on.

A lot of people using the high-speed fan switch mod have blown out their CCRM box (located in the passenger side fender) and their fan wasn't working.

Check that the fan is actually turning!!

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The fan is working. I have to unplug it to pour water into the crossover tube or else it blows it everywhere.

I am just about at the end of my rope.

I went to the ford place and bought a thermo for a 97 contour. I swapped the thermos and had the same result. The radiator is cool as can be. What gives?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Your radiator is cool and the engine is running hot. You might want to change your pulleys back to the stock ones and see if the increase in water flow helps lower the temp.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Why be at the end of your rope??
The thermostat does NOT control the maximum temperature. It controls the minimum temperature.

In a Cobra the stock thermostat starts to divert coolant through the radiator at about 195 deg and isn't sending it all through the radiator till about 212 deg. You can run that fan all you want and it won't force the system below the minimum the thermostat wants it to be at. If you over-cool with the radiator the thermostat will just bypass it. You can cool things back down to the thermostat's range with the fan but your fan can't cool things any further than that.

Maybe, as someone else suggested, you don't really have a 180 deg in the first place. It's not your ordinary thermostat. It wouldn't surprise me if it was discovered that there really are no cooler thermostats of that peculiar design. And if it actually is a stock range thermostat, running 210 deg is in the realm of normal. You'd have to exceed 220 deg before Ford would consider it abnormal.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I got my 180 thermostat from ford and here is the part number.

ONE
RT-1144
XL3Z-8575-AA
THERMOSTAT

Is what it says on the box.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts