Looks like kjb302ho did a good job answering everyone's questions but if someone wants me to expand on something just let me know and I'll try my best to explain further. Now onto the benefits.
- More accurate & consistent spark advance: I'll talk about this below in another post.
- Eliminates the play/slop in the timing chain & gears from the crank signal sensor.
- Eliminates the lash between the cam & distributor gears from the crank sensor signal.
- Eliminates the need for an OEM quality hall sensor aka stator in the distributor. The ones that come in an MSD, Performance Distributor, and any other aftermarket distributor do not use OEM stators that may or may not work well.
- Eliminates the need for an OEM quality shutter wheel in the distributor.
- Engine position is sampled every 10 degrees of rotation.
- 9x more resolution than the old flying magnet crank triggers
- 9x more resolution than a TFI ignition with EEC-IV: This was my 94 Mustang without the Pro-M EFI.
- 4.5x more resolution than TFI ignition when used with the Pro-M EFI: This is how my 94 Mustang is set up now.
- and finally faster starts