Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The current rules for sub 10.00 cars are the same for 9.99 and down to 7.50. Starting in 2005 the rules change and the catagory will be 9.99 down to 8.50. A car running 8.49 to 7.50 will need a cage very similar to a 25C car now. Stock floor pans will not be allowed and a "full cage" won't be enough either.

Not sure how many people this effects here but thought I would mention it just in case someone has some long range plans.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Looks like I am still safe for now, as you are..You got any clean passes off in that car yet? I can't wait to learn how to launch off the 'brake............

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, nothing new to report. Last time to the track I was having major traction problems due to bad track prep. I went out with a more agressive tune also and had to immediately take it out. Even the old tune had me sideways so it was a waste of time. Will probably give it another try at one of the test and tune days. They usually do better track prep for that.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Cool, you about have the battery clean up project wrapped up? That really sucked to hear about that. That car is way too nice for an incident like that. How are you venting your box? From the top or from the bottom.........?

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm gonna work on it some more this weekend to make sure everything is real clean. I'm real clad I had it in that aluminum case or there could have been some nasty damage.

That box is not sealed so I didn't have any vent system on it. Now that this has happened I added a vent tube from the top of the box to the outside. Hope that helps me.

BTW, "5 car garage" you say? Very nice and I'm REAL jealous.....;)

·
Registered
655 Posts
John91coupe said:
The current rules for sub 10.00 cars are the same for 9.99 and down to 7.50. Starting in 2005 the rules change and the catagory will be 9.99 down to 8.50. A car running 8.49 to 7.50 will need a cage very similar to a 25C car now. Stock floor pans will not be allowed and a "full cage" won't be enough either.

Not sure how many people this effects here but thought I would mention it just in case someone has some long range plans.
Although I agree totaly with abiding by NHRA rules, you should come down south sometime, we have tracks by the name of "Outlaw tracks" which it's run what you brung and hope you brought enough, regardless of what your car is built with.. On most T&T nights it is literally obsurd what you see thrown together..

But alot of those cars are stupid fast too. ..

Racing, if you got a helmet your doing it.. .. down south anyway..

=)

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
John91coupe said:
A car running 8.49 to 7.50 will need a cage very similar to a 25C car now. Stock floor pans will not be allowed and a "full cage" won't be enough either.
Well that sucks, I guess I'll have to change my chassis setup when I go to a bigblock or Dart....Still haven't decided. I guess it's for our own good...James

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Why not just make it easy and say that everybody running 8.50 or faster will now have to use a chassis meeting 25c rules. They are effectivly making it even more difficult to "grow" with the same car. I don't have any delusions about going 8's with anything that was ever used as a street car, but many people do and have. That just makes another trip to the chassis shop. Sounds like NHRA wants any car in this catagory to at least be back halved. It's going to be interesting to see what the tire limited classes do.

·
Registered
667 Posts
My car is at the chassis shop right now getting the cage put in. I was going just to have a full cage put in but after I talked to my chassis guy he talked me into a funny car cage. I heard about the new rules and talked to him. He said I would only have to add a few bars to make the car legal so I am going to have the car legal to run 7.50.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Backhalved chassis

FordRacer9 said:
I don't have any delusions about going 8's with anything that was ever used as a street car, but many people do and have. Sounds like NHRA wants any car in this catagory to at least be back halved. It's going to be interesting to see what the tire limited classes do.
Everybody's definition of "street car" is different. Look at NMCA.
Their World's fastest street cars are definitely not daily drivers. My car is/was driven to the track and better run EIGHTS when I spray it. Can I sit in a traffic jam for 30 minutes? No, but I can drive it anywhere reasonable.
I think it would be ludricrous to attempt to drive a car into the sevens without a backhalved chassis. But, 8.40's are a far cry from 7.50's.....James

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
What I was trying to say, is that If I were to build a car to run those kinds of times, I'd try to start with a body in white. That'll save a whole lot of time and effort right off the bat. But most 9 and 10 second cars started life as daily drivers at one point in time. So now you have 1 trip to the chassis shop for your 11 sec bar. Go a little faster and it's time for a real suspension. Then a 9 sec cage, and maybe mini tubs. Now at 8.50 you are going back yet again. I just can't justify cutting into the same car that many times. I mean how many CURRENT competitive Pro 5.0 cars started as daily drivers? I'm sure that there are a few still around, but for the most part these guys will build a whole new car when a rules change like this comes down.

Like I said, they are making it harder and harder to grow with a car. I can't afford to go out and buy a new chassis every couple of years, but I can afford to put more motor, or spray to it from time to time. I guess that means I should start saving money, and looking for a new chasis and start over again, to have a legal car and not enough motor to use it?

And bye the way, I just got a car back from the chasis shop a month ago. A convertable Vette set up to go low 10's. If they had just come out with a rule that told me I'd be going back to the shop in a year and a half I'd have to go and kill somebody. I just spent close to $20K to have the independant rear taken out and replaced with a 9in w/ coilovers and a 4 link and a 8 point bar. All just to be rules compliant.

NHRA=No Hot Rods Allowed

1 - 11 of 11 Posts