Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone I am new to this forum and I have been debating on what route I should go with for my engine build. I have a 2003 Ford Mustang GT.

Background: I have been having exhaust smoke issues, come to find out I have low compression in cylinder 4. I had dripped some oil down only to find that it did seal. Bad Rings :(

I desired a quick and fun street car that may see some track time.

My goal is to put an On3 turbo system into my car.

Do I buy a salvage yard engine and turbo that setup?
Do I build up and engine with a forged rotating assembly?

I am not confident in a stock motor to take the beating of a turbo set up even though I have a friend that is running an On3 on his SN95 stock motor @ 10psi and has like 10k miles on it.

Building an engine costs a lot of money and Im not rich. But I have found some forged rotating assemblies on MMR and they seem to be decent parts.

I am just looking for some guidance as what works best and some opinions from those who have traveled this road before.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Racing is expensive, how fast do you want to go? I personally would rebuild what you have, if you've got the know how. You could get a salvage yard engine only to find out that the previous owner changed the oil twice in its 180,000 miles. Besides the engine rebuild, and the turbo kit, there's a lot of other expenses to consider. Injectors, tuning devices, air filter, fuel pump, fuel lines, pressure regulator, and so on. Just do some homework and have a goal in mind, and stick with it.

·
Premium Member
2,887 Posts
Building an engine costs a lot of money and Im not rich. !
Define "not rich" and we will go from there. ( AKA, what is your budget?)

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
Since you're set on actually making power with boost I wouldn't do a stock motor unless the funds aren't there to up the ante a bit. From what I've read the stock rods are the weak link so you may be able to put aftermarket rods in a stock motor to gain some reliability but the best option is to build/buy a engine with good components. Knowing how much power you want and how much $$ you want to spend would help.

ks

·
Registered
137 Posts
^^^^What Kevin said. Spend a little money now and then you don't have to worry as much. I just rebuilt my 03 2V out of necessity because I didn't replace the timing chain tensioners when I had the chance. FWIW, I bought a cobra crank off of ebay for $500, I got MMR forged rods for $300 and I won an auction on ebay for a set of NIB JE cobra pistons for $200. I would advise you to get better rods like Manley. My builder said the MMR rods are not terrible but they needed work so I ended up paying the same amount anyway. Oh, and upgrade to the iron tensioners and a cobra oil pump and ARP fasteners. This short block combo should reliably support 700-800 RWHP. Also, FWIW again, this is my first turbo build, too and the learning curve is huge. It's much more complex than a supercharger, IMO. But when you finally get it sorted out, it's pretty awesome.
If you're interested, I have an On3 67mm unit with the billet wheel and ceramic ball bearing upgrade.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts