Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I'm a new member and a new owner. My boyfriend just bought me a 1988 Fox Body Notchback 5.0 with a manual transmission. The person we bought it from owned it for over 20 years and used it for drag racing...so it's a beast! I'm super excited to work on it and get it all cleaned up and to my liking. I'm planning on working on it in the garage all winter.
I'll be looking for parts, advice, tips, etc.
Really hoping to have it street legal ...well, at least not so much a drag car by the spring so I can get her out there and get to know her.

Regards,

Christy

·
Registered
106 Posts
Congratulations on the new ride. Looks good should be a fun project!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Congratulations on the new ride. Looks good should be a fun project!

Thanks so much! I'm super excited! Installing a small furnace in the garage just so I can work on it this winter!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Yes definitely up in Michigan would some heat in the garage be a huge plus!

How much has al ready been done to the car. I assume its already got frame connectors? Any engine work? Did the previous owner tell you what kind of times it ran at the track.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just got a propane heater for the garage...even though it's been mild so far. I expect it will get pretty frigid soon, though.
Let's see, the previous owner had it for over twenty years. He did make a ton of modifications and used it for drag racing. He said he was doing ten second quarter miles.
As far as the work done on it, I'd have to look at the list he made. I do know it's got an oversized cam, larger intake and a ton of other stuff. It's nitrous ready, has 10" drag slicks, small front tires, but he's taken out the roll bars and harnesses. Also 3", 3/4 Flowmaster pipes. Super gurggly! Uh...yes, to connectors but I have to look at them. They're important, right? BUT I'm not planning on racing it. I'm just going to enjoy it and be a little bratty every now and then and take it to the track during the summer to experience it the right way.
I'll get the list of mods out so I can list them.
The interior needs work...pretty bad. My plan is to gradually switch all interior from blue and grey to black.
Today, since it's unusually warm, I'm going to start working on redoing the wire looming and switching it from tubing to braided polyethylene. The wires are just a mess right now!
It also has a short-shifter and I'm not used to it at all, so I'm hoping to get a little practice in around the neighborhood while it's fairly warm out and before the snow.
Oh, and looking for a different hood...I don't like the 4" cowl at all!

·
Registered
358 Posts
Welcome ! You have the same problem I have. My car was set up for street racing. I've switched out alot of things to make it more cruise friendly. Changed out the mufflers,c4 to a built AOD,Installed power steering,Removed a few gauges I didn't need,Still up grading . Roger

1 - 6 of 6 Posts