Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a new King Cobra clutch installed and while the tuners were road testing a new chip burn the clutch came apart when shifting into 3rd. The clutch had less than 50 miles on it and no launches or downshifting (I hadnt even picked up the car since the new clutch went in). See sig for approx dyno #'s (they may be slightly higher now). The driver was an experienced tuner who owns a 500 hp blown Cobra that he has driven (blown) for over 40k miles. What the hay? I am interested in finding out if these clutches have a history of being defective or are they simply not designed for my power level (I would think a King Cobra could handle my set up). I bought it from Summit racing and they have stickers on the clutch kits that say "no warranty". Kudos to Prewitt Racing for hooking me up with a new Centerforce Dual Friction rig for only the upgrade cost out of pocket.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I had a D&D 11" dual friction put it recently. I went easy on my clutch for 500 miles. Did he beat on it? or drive hard? I have heard of my clutch blowing up (rebadged Centerforce) after a few miles.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He was going through the gears faily hard as he was testing A/F ratios and timing curves on a newly burned chip for my blower. I dont think that would qualify as abuse though, he has to constantly look at his laptop the whole time. How should I drive it during break in? Is it better to let out the clutch quickly when starting out in 1st (like from a stop light) or ease it out when breaking in the clutch? How about when blowing through the gears?

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Listen, I paid over $400 for my setup. I took it easy because that's what Joe @ D&D told me to do. I can't honestly tell you if there is a specific "WAY" to break in a clutch. However, common sense would dictate that you should go easy on new parts for a few miles. You have to bed new brakes don't you? A clutch works like a brake but in reverse. I would ask the tuner to pick up the bill. He should've known better. I doubt he will though.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply, I guess I'll skip the 6000 rpm launch on slicks this time! Actually, I never had a chance to break in the clutch myself, I hadnt even got the car back from when the clutch was put in. The tuner is hooking me up with a Centerforce dual friction unit, I think it will hold up better. I hope it wont be too "grabby" I drive mostly in the city.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts