Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it seems my car wasn't impressing me prior to now b/c the chip went bad and I was about 80 hp down :( Well I took it back down to the shop and got it corrected. Good news is they got the new Diablo/AL software to work on the car so they were able to adjust the fan settings.

Result is the car is noticeably smoother and suprisingly quieter with more power. Where previously my peak power was 413rwhp @7250 STD, my new numbers came to 420rwhp @ 7050 rpms. Why the change in rpm.... b/c they didn't run the dyno any higher than that :mad: My peaks will be a little bit higher than that if the dyno was run all the way. Also as a result I had a high rpm backfire that I'm not sure if it will stick around or not. If it does its back to the dyno.

Driving Impression is that first gear is almost useless. I have to roll into the throttle and I still have some significant spin, but the gear still gets me to 45 pretty quick. 2nd gear yields better traction, but just stomping the gear isn't going to work. I roll into the gear and as the rpms climb I still spin the tires @ times. Thanks to my Griggs the car stays straight as an arrow with all this spinning; which I really appreciate. When I can get to 3rd w/o short shifting due to tire spin it pulls well. It feels similar to a supercharged Cobra I rode in a long time ago as it just gets faster as the rpms climb in a very noticeable way. My feeling is I will not understand how fast the car is until I get some tires underneath it that can harness the power. Hope to get it to the track to obtain some starter numbers very soon.

Overall I think the car is now more what I was hoping it would be. I look forward to getting to the track or racing benchmark cars so I know how it is performing compared to before. About 500 more miles and I plan to switch to synthetics and redyno all the way to 7800 rpms or so.

One thing I noticed about the car. I thought the rpm peak would come @ 7500 rpms when I first built it and have been really suprised that is was lower. I wonder if the spark isn't firing consistently enough to take the car all the way up the rpm range of this car, b/c the power seems to just flatline @ high rpm instead of fall off at a normal rate. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
The description sounds awesome! I would really like to do something like what you have with my car one day.

How much do you have invested?

·
Premium Member
5,154 Posts
Glad you're enjoying the car Dennis. I really can't wait to see your final numbers. BTW, Smackdown is May 21st @ Norwalk;)

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
DS97Cobra said:

Result is the car is noticeably smoother and suprisingly quieter with more power. Where previously my peak power was 413rwhp @7250 STD, my new numbers came to 420rwhp @ 7050 rpms.
Do you know your SAE numbers? Just curious as my STD numbers were 596 rwhp and my SAE was 570 rwhp.

Tom Crews

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Great News DS97. Your numbers are great! I like hearing the good news from the "big bore" brothers. (ya know, the few the proud) LOL. It gives me hope that i can raise my own bar. I only need a good intake, but the wife will kill me.... (ie FR500).

OT: not to steal your thread, but i wanted to let ya know that i threw the insurance back on my 5oh4V. I wanted to break it in. Its running great. I absolutly love the big bore!!! I'm so glad i went in this direction (as opposed to a blower). The car is so damn strong down low and the forged internals give me the piece of mind i always wanted. I took a friend for a ride in it, and a firechicken wanted to do a roll-on-race on the freeway. i let him hit it first (i was behind him). I just blew by him as if he were just standing still. woo hoo!
Fourcam322's BB/S is gonna be a serious road warrior if he ever gets it on the road :p j/k...

Andy: I rotated my driveshaft 180 and all the vibration went buh-bye...

I'm awaiting the BIG BORE SHOOTOUT.... as i'm gonna have to lay some SMAKK down on you guys... lmafo. (dreaming...)

Chris

·
Premium Member
5,154 Posts
Tom, STD is typically 3-4% lower than SAE from what I've seen.
Chris,
Glad you got the driveline vibe fixed, I know how that can annoy. I'm also glad you enjoy driving the BB! Once it's broken in and tuned, you're going to LOVE it!
Dennis,
Anyway you can post that graph? I want to see the curve...

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am out of town, and won't have them until begininning of march. I don't know how to post them anyway, but I will email them to you when I have them

I would guess SAE to be in the 410 range

·
Registered
123 Posts
wait, u made that much power NA?
How is that possible? How much did you bore it out, ( i know to 305 ) but like how much did u bore the cylinders out?
Wow, ive been wanting to build her NA, i didnt know this is possible! Someone please give me some info.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The cylinder sleeves were bored out and replaced with new 3.7" sleeves giving it a total cubic inch of 305 cu/in. Yes the car is N/A. I also have to give credit to Houston Performance as they built the motor.

Shakedown of the motor
10.5:1compression
FR500 heads ported
FR500 Intake
Houston Performance Billet Cams
Full Exhaust

Thats the high level.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
lifeat26psi said:
wait, u made that much power NA?
How is that possible? How much did you bore it out, ( i know to 305 ) but like how much did u bore the cylinders out?
Wow, ive been wanting to build her NA, i didnt know this is possible! Someone please give me some info.

give this guy a call: Hensler Racing: 740-964-9747
He can give you all the info you need...

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey wait before you send Hensler any more business make him finish Andy's car :) I'm tired of waiting on that thing

·
Registered
123 Posts
DS97Cobra said:
Hey wait before you send Hensler any more business make him finish Andy's car :) I'm tired of waiting on that thing
HAHAHAHa
thanks for the info guys, im guessing this cost somewhere in the vacinity of 10k cash huh?

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
More or less depending on what you want to do.

·
Premium Member
5,154 Posts
Just tack on an additional $1250 or so for a big bore block, everything else should cost the same--depending of course on the pieces/parts you choose.

Chris/Dennis, just be glad you're not the BB/Stroker guinea pig;)

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Fourcam322 said:
Just tack on an additional $1250 or so for a big bore block, everything else should cost the same--depending of course on the pieces/parts you choose.

Chris/Dennis, just be glad you're not the BB/Stroker guinea pig;)
True DAT! although i think part of me would like to be. :evil:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Great HP!

What was the torque? Was it obvious in the curve where the runners opened?

Congrats again! I was thinking FR500 for my 99 Cobra before I bought the 03 but I was too chicken to be the guinea pig at those $$$ levels.

Thanks for sharing,

Mike

1 - 17 of 17 Posts