Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it’s been about 7 years since I’ve worked on a car, mostly cause my vision sucks(long story short I had a brain hemorrhage and a stroke losing 3/4 of my vision) But I’m getting back to the things I used to love. It’s still quite difficult to trace wires and what not But I bought an 83gt 5.0 5spd. that’s been parked since the late 90s in a dry barn storage. The car is in really decent shape with 118k. Has a sunroof and a pretty nice interior that has an odor of neglect. A short throw and nice tape deck, even the das is mint. Did I mention it’s black on black? Some things needed fixing to get her to run on its own the most difficult being the ignition switch, it wasn’t a loose connector like most it was the electrical cnnection inside the switch. Some wd40 and quick movement and it’s fine now. Starts and idles great, next was the clutch wouldn’t disengage. Started it up in gear and it’s all good as well.
So I’m on to wires.
I bought an 84 service manual, it’s useless. Been searching and searching and found I need to ask for help. There is a white with black stripe wire coming from the alternator that had a push on type connector(until it caught fire and I ripped it off). It obviously isnt for the electric choke, I read that it was somewhere.
So can anyone tell me where it’s supposed to go?
as for plans I’m thinking subframe connectors,( b&r?)torque box reinforcment,full exhaust and some heads with 1.7 rockers.
after the first wash in 20+ yrs.

Attachments

·
Registered
475 Posts
Welcome to corral. You don't need torque box reinforcements unless you plan to make a lot of horse power with slicks on the back. The sfc you will need, get the full length with seat reinforcement

·
Registered
334 Posts
Nice 4 eye Barnny. Love that color combo man!

This 3/4 vision loss & still out banging gears in a foxbody . That sounds inconvenient and dangerous but you sure do love foxbodies! I would do the same.

The two black with orange stripe wires merge together and attach to the starter solenoid / positive battery post.

The white/ black stripe wire you speak of is the feed to the voltage regulator.

https://lmr.com/item/LRS-14290A/86-04-Mustang-Voltage-Regulator-Plug. You may need this.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Welcome to corral. You don't need torque box reinforcements unless you plan to make a lot of horse power with slicks on the back. The sfc you will need, get the full length with seat reinforcement

Torque box reinforcements are marketing BS. The real problem is incorrect rear geometry, not the frame or "torque boxes"

Build your rear end accordingly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, as for the connector it looked more like this. ive Never really been a ford guy as Chevy is the dominant one in my family so it’s all a little foreign to me. I’ve always loved the foxbody though, but my relationship with mustangs isnt one I like to think of as healthy. my blood starts boiling when I think of the 65 fastback that was stolen close to 20 yrs. Ago. It was a car my dad saved for about 23 years,blue on blue 2+2 all original and complete. Ok. I can’t talk about anymore, my blood pressure! Anyway, I had been side eyeing foxes for a long time and figured I got a few years left to enjoy one but we’ll see. I appreciate any help I can get.

Attachments

·
Registered
334 Posts
Ahhh.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts