Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed tfs twisted wedge heads on my car and set everything right it has 4.10 gears,tfs stage 1 cam stock intake stock mass air sensor stock injectors bbk 70 mm throttle body bbk shorty headers offroad h pipe flowmasters 190 lph fuel pump and nittos
the best I ran yesterday was [email protected] with a 196 60 ft
last november I went [email protected] with a 190 60 ft with E-7 heads and i begin to wonder WTF:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: it went [email protected] last november too on juice and E-7s
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
987 Posts
Did you say stock intake.....stock mass air sensor? :eek:


A fortune cookie once read, "With bigger lungs( heads in your case) you will need bigger nostrils( intake/mass air in your case) to take deeper breaths" :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I figured that

it just kills me how theres guys at the track with stock everything except ported GT-40 heads 4.10 gears headers cam the usual going [email protected] mph with the same 60 ft
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
987 Posts
Re: I figured that

Blown331GT said:
it just kills me how theres guys at the track with stock everything except ported GT-40 heads 4.10 gears headers cam the usual going [email protected] mph with the same 60 ft
You benefit more with a matching system, stock intake side works wonders with a stock exhaust. It has to go out as fast as it's coming in and vice versa,in my opinion. I think an intake and new MAF will work wonders. Try a 73mm CL or Pro-M 75mm. I read in a Mustangs Unlimited catalog that the stock MAF is 58mm!?!? :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
its all on the way

the holley systemax will be here soon and the pro m 80 mm and the vortech T-Trim has been shipped I was just trying to get a decent number on the motor like the others i have seen at the track
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,249 Posts
Still you would think the new aluminum heads & cam would add more hp.. Everybody says the heads (E7) are the bottle neck, and you removed the bottle neck. With that said you should have gone faster. Also consider that with the new heads and cam, you moved the powerband up. Don't know if you add 4.10 before or after. Things to consider is shift points, tire spin (with hopfully new power), the learning curve on how to drive the new combo, weather. Now the new bottle neck is the intake and MAF meter. Change those and I would expect good gains at the track. You did pick up mph, so probly more tire spin off the line. Could also be a tune issue?
Keep up the good work. Don't give up, keep trying.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
339 Posts
Blown331GT said:
I installed tfs twisted wedge heads on my car and set everything right it has 4.10 gears,tfs stage 1 cam stock intake stock mass air sensor stock injectors bbk 70 mm throttle body bbk shorty headers offroad h pipe flowmasters 190 lph fuel pump and nittos
the best I ran yesterday was [email protected] with a 196 60 ft
last november I went [email protected] with a 190 60 ft with E-7 heads and i begin to wonder WTF:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: it went [email protected] last november too on juice and E-7s
What are you shifting @? It should be around 5600 rpm. Also you are gained mph. Put a good set of tires and low 13's you go... GOOD LUCK>>>>>
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
453 Posts
My take, based more on theory than experience:

Sounds like a mismatch between the heads and the intake. The stock intake doesn't flow enough, so it limits high RPM power. The new heads flow better, but because of the larger volume, velocity is reduced, hurting low RPM torque.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
98 Posts
I agree that the stock intake is restricting your power.

I remember an article in Super Ford a few years back when they did a bolt on build up. They gained only a few hp when they installed the heads with the stock intake. After installing a performance intake, they gained 40 hp.

I'd upgrade your intake and MAF.

Just my 2 cents...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,626 Posts
What about the computer, wouldnt that benifit from a custom program? If u think about it, how are u going to throw a bunch of performance parts on it and expect it to work as one? Maybe it would benifit from a tuner or chip of some sort, just to sort out and optimize everything uve done to it and plan to do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I will get the dyno tune after i get the supercharger install going and finished with the systemax intake and pro m 80 mm. this car has balls off idle it just smokes the nittos but starts to lose it real big at 3500 rpm to where it had power till like 4500 rpm with the e-7s i am going out for test and tune tonight in 2 hours I talked to a guy who went [email protected] mph and he told me he had to screw with his timing for the car to run decent all he had was gt 40 heada and stock intake tb and mass air i am just toying with mine as i wait on enough parts to arrive so i can rip it down and do the real deal but thanks for all your input guys greatly appreciated.:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
Blown331GT said:
I will get the dyno tune after i get the supercharger install going and finished with the systemax intake and pro m 80 mm. this car has balls off idle it just smokes the nittos but starts to lose it real big at 3500 rpm to where it had power till like 4500 rpm with the e-7s i am going out for test and tune tonight in 2 hours I talked to a guy who went [email protected] mph and he told me he had to screw with his timing for the car to run decent all he had was gt 40 heada and stock intake tb and mass air i am just toying with mine as i wait on enough parts to arrive so i can rip it down and do the real deal but thanks for all your input guys greatly appreciated.:D
Well if his car is prior to 94, his intake is better flowing than yours. Also up your shift points a little and the TFS loves timing so a 15-18 deg timing advance will help.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
53,617 Posts
Bingo on the timing. I was going to ask the same thing- Where is the timing set at? Also wondering if you degreed the cam or installed it straight-up? Another thing to check- Didn't see a balancer mentioned, assume you have the stock balancer? Make sure it hasn't shifted on you- this is common, and that would make your timing marks mis-aligned in relation to the pointer. Is for balacer has shifted, when you re-assembled everything and then re-set your timing, it's off.

Even with the smallish supporting parts, with those heads you should have seen some improvement regardless. You'd see more with the proper supporting "cast"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
476 Posts
:barf: stock intake
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok

I set the timing at strait time today 32 degrees and no knock it wouldnt bite with the nittos hot it would just melt them at the track but would tear every other car up through the 1/8 mile then fall on its face and i see that as intake and mass air not flowing enough to feed it top end like everyone said but when i set it strait time it would just melt the tires through 1st and 2nd gear violently i was impressed i would have never set it like that until i saw the post where the guys were talking about it I will let you guys know how it runs when the new intake maf and blower come in this is my new combo in my sig all parts are on order and the power pipe and blower have been shipped thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
647 Posts
Even with a stock MAF and stock intake, going from stock heads to Trick Flow TWs you should feel a MASSIVE difference. Did you stab your distributor correctly? What's your timing set to? How's fuel pressure? You are running stock injectors with Trick Flows? I'd dump some more fuel first and see... I had the same problem. I went to GT-40X heads on stock injectors and it killed the performance.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top