Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
89 gt vert. installed trick flow 170 heads, stage 1 cam, edelbrock performer 5.0, tf 1.6 rr, 30lb injectors, 80mm pro m maf(30lb cal), 75mm edelbrock tb, bbk adj fuel pressure reg set at 40lb, under drive pulleys. Car cranked right up instantly, idled nice for about 5 mins...then bogged out while i was admiring the exhaust note. never got to rev it or anything. Now the car will not start or even make a sound...just endless cranking. any suggestions?

· Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok. It fouled the plugs on startup. Cleaned them. Got it running, set timing at 10degrees. So far no leaks at all. Got it up to op temp. Every thing is checking out ok. Might have to give the rockers another adjustment (only did 1/2 turn past zero lash) there is a little valve train noise, but idk what "normal" sounds like. Better safe then sorry. Going from a stock motor with a k&n and full bbk/flowmaster exhaust., to this full hci setup and supporting mods feels like a ton more power.(havnt drivin it yet but feels/sounds strong) Throttle responce is awesome too!!

· Registered
2,944 Posts
40 psi fuel pressure and 30lbs injectors are the culprits of the fouled plugs. Only 10 Deg initial isn't helping things either. You can turn down the pressure 2 lbs at a time and play with it.

I'd try 14 deg and 36 psi for starters. Years ago i tried 30lbs on a hci 302 and with no tune it ran real fat. Idle would burn your eyes. Anything more than 24lbs on a HCI N/A 302 would need a tune IMO. I got the car to run decent with 24lbs and no tune. If i do HCI again I'm going to try it out first with 19lbs squirters (maybe explorer with the wider spray pattern) and an adj FPR cranked up a little.

Buddy has a gt-40 iron head set up on a coupe with some home porting on the heads and intake, shorties, 2.5 exhaust pro-m 75mm MAF for 19s and the little coupe ran 12.70 @ 107 with lowering springs 3.55 gears on 26 inch slicks going through the traps in 3rd and it was full weight.

· Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have it on 14 degrees with 38lbs fp exhaust smells pretty clean...nice and crisp! The fp regullator was set at 43 when i first cranked it. I have upper/lower intake gasket matched, then i dissassembled the heads, also gasket matched heads to then took my porting kit and ground down all the casting flash in the heads. Left intake side finished with 80 grit, then full polished the exhaust. Spent a long time on them, curious about how much it helped. Will have dyno #s soon!!!!

· Premium Member
4,641 Posts
I have it on 14 degrees with 38lbs fp exhaust smells pretty clean...nice and crisp! The fp regullator was set at 43 when i first cranked it. I have upper/lower intake gasket matched, then i dissassembled the heads, also gasket matched heads to then took my porting kit and ground down all the casting flash in the heads. Left intake side finished with 80 grit, then full polished the exhaust. Spent a long time on them, curious about how much it helped. Will have dyno #s soon!!!!
I just finished my hci, on yours is that 14* with the spout out, and 38# with the vacuum line disconnected , or still hooked up ?

I've got mine 12* ,spout out, about 39# vac unhooked, and its about 32# with the vac hooked back up? it smells a lil rich at startup.

· Registered
1,680 Posts
I'd recommend a Quarterhorse and Wideband. You can run any injector and any meter, and it will make the car much better with the 30#'s. Take it from someone who know, I tried to run 30#'s with a C&L and it was bad news. Car always ran rich. Got a QH and swapped in a LMAF, and its perfect now.

Plus the added bonus of being able to tune your own car for power and datalog its performance.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.