Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Fellow 'Stang Lovers,

I have read through many threads looking for some info but have been unsuccessful. I thought maybe I could just throw my questions out and let everyone have a shot at me. I realize that they may be very basic, but I am just learning and we all need to start somewhere. So, here goes (oh yeah, please be gentle with me).

1. I have an 87 GT bare bones stock. Engine has approx 75k on it. Recently it began to have an idle problem. Most times (hot or cold) it will run up to 2000rpm and stay there. Occasionally it will run at 800-900 until it warms up, then kicks up to 2000. Any ideas what could be wrong?

2. My oil pressure has been very erratic lately. It normally points straight out at the M in the word NORMAL. However, it will dip down to the A, and recently has even begun dropping to the L. Is my oil pump about to croak? If not, what else could be happening?

3. My tranny (5 spd factory) has totally lost 2nd gear. I can still drive it, although it requires me to go 1st to 3rd to do so. I have considered rebuilding it, but how can I determine which mfg I have. I have read that there were a couple of OEMs for Ford transmissions in 87.

I want to thank everyone in advance for their help. If anyone knows of a good, reputable and reasonably priced repair shop in or near Montgomery AL, please let me know that too. Thanks,

Dave

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
1-It could be a number of things. Why guess? Just scan for codes and know for sure.
2-Sounds like a bad pump or gauge. Try a different gauge. If it does the same way, change the oil pump.
3-Borg Warner World Class T-5 is the transmission you have.

·
Super Moderator
27,661 Posts
First one is 10-pin connectors, guaranteed. Do a search on that, there are tons of posts.

I agree, try a new oil pressure gauge, or more easily, a new sender first.

You have a "world class" T-5, plenty of info around here on how to rebuild one yourself

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.