Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone! glad to be a part of this large community.. i need some help and im sure its a repost but im looking for your opinions on some stuff..i currently have a stock blocked stock headded/ camed 302 with cobra intake and 75mm t.b.. this winter i plan on building a new motor. stock internals with aftermarked heads/ cam etc...my question is on the intake. should i keep it? im thinking about getting one of those edelbrock elbow intakes..

what:
brand intakes:
model intakes:
throttlebody:
injectors:
fuel rails:
or anything else im missing. pics would be very helpful. sorry for the long read. thanks!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Keep the cobra...when u start to build ur project, a member on here is well known for his porting (tmoss) u can send it to him and have it ported for 200$ or less prob? and it will be more then enough for ur setup! If you do go with another intake...make sure it matches up with all your other parts.

·
Registered
730 Posts
If you can add what is your HP goals, your expectations, etc. Then I think it would help us to help you with our suggestions.....Also more info on the rest of your car is helpful too.....

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
info : 1990 lx hatch. fiberglass frontend. tubular front suspension. smog/ac/ps deleted manual brakes cobra disc brake rear end 4:10 gears. t-5. battery relocated. stock radiator no electric fan. stock heads 1.6 rockers.

budget depends on the winter. and if i can sell stuff. im hoping to get it painted so i should have about 1000-1500 to spend on the set up.. hp i dont care, et id like for around 12s on motor idk how possible it is just a goal.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Keep the cobra...when u start to build ur project, a member on here is well known for his porting (tmoss) u can send it to him and have it ported for 200$ or less prob? and it will be more then enough for ur setup! If you do go with another intake...make sure it matches up with all your other parts.
i have a guy who will port it, just for some reason i just like this intake. plus i think that the air flow was better bnut oi dont know. i like the cobra its just hard too work around

and i understand what you mean when you say to make sure everything matches, thats why im trying to get an idea of the right combination. thanks :)

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
heads i plan on using are either gt40 (not p) or procomp. i know theyre not the best, but theyre cheap and i wont be making too much power for them

·
Registered
393 Posts
Are you looking to buy new or used parts because for what you are looking to spend you can find a nice set of used aluminum heads and a nice used cam and maybe even a few more parts and you should easily run 12s.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
it doesnt matter. i joined this site cause i knew therres a lot of helpful people and a lot of parts for sale compared to my local site. so who knows. are you suggesting keeping the cobra and building around it? if you were in my situation, what combination woould you run?

·
Registered
393 Posts
I would keep the intake for now and if you have money left over you can find a better intake. That intake will still work good but for maximum performance I would down the road get a holley systemax intake. Look for a set of trick flow twisted wedge heads since they are one of the best performers out there for a 302 for the price.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i do not plan on using twisted wedge heads on this car. not worth it in my opinion. if i only have 1500 i dont want to be spending 1200 on heads. just not my thing. i have a lot i need to do withthis car such as porting and new fuel system and cam etc. id either use alum. procomps or gt40 i have my mind set on those

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
You will get more out of 1200 in a set of heads than 1200 in a bunch of other stuff, but it's your money. :)

An elbow intake is way too much intake for anything you're looking to do. The cobra isn't bad.

You say your engine is cammed... what cam?

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i do not have a cam, it is something i will be looking into for winter. probably b or f but idk...not really worth getting a custom grind cam for this lil set up. and i know i can get those heads and theyll work. but im not tryin to make something ridicuals. its just a budget build. if you see the 3-6th letters in my screen name youll see why lol

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
i do not have a cam, it is something i will be looking into for winter. probably b or f but idk...not really worth getting a custom grind cam for this lil set up. and i know i can get those heads and theyll work. but im not tryin to make something ridicuals. its just a budget build. if you see the 3-6th letters in my screen name youll see why lol
Oh okay I misread that about the cam.

What makes you think good heads is building something ridiculous?

I think picking up some used trick flows, some used 24# injectors matching MAF from someone who's upgrading, along with your cobra intake which you can at least do a gasket match port job on by hand yourself, and the stock cam retarded 4 degrees, would be a great budget build. It will make very noticeably more power than you have now, and will still have great street manners.

It will also be a platform that will respond well when you get more money, to a cam change, new roller rockers, exhaust upgrade, intake upgrade, maybe a power adder, etc.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
what ever you do, dont fool with the procomp heads,,,lots of horror stories here about them(terrible quality castings and components) with a set of 1200 heads---your 1.6's and stock cam and cobra intake, it would be notably faster and lose 50lbs of weight in the process.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
You will get more out of 1200 in a set of heads than 1200 in a bunch of other stuff, but it's your money. :)

An elbow intake is way too much intake for anything you're looking to do. The cobra isn't bad.

You say your engine is cammed... what cam?
i agree with this 100%.......hit up the classified section here, your budget will go much further.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Oh okay I misread that about the cam.

What makes you think good heads is building something ridiculous?

I think picking up some used trick flows, some used 24# injectors matching MAF from someone who's upgrading, along with your cobra intake which you can at least do a gasket match port job on by hand yourself, and the stock cam retarded 4 degrees, would be a great budget build. It will make very noticeably more power than you have now, and will still have great street manners.

It will also be a platform that will respond well when you get more money, to a cam change, new roller rockers, exhaust upgrade, intake upgrade, maybe a power adder, etc.
idk just with the budget i have i dont see the point in spending the whole amount on one piece to the puzzle. dont get me wrong, i do believe the tftw heads would be a lot better. and if i can find a nice used set for 600-600 id be in business lol. i do have 24# injectors and matching MAF and plan on getting atleast gasket matched heads and intake as well

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
idk i have heard good things about procomp too. im not going to be shooting major spray on the engine nor will i bore/stroke it. so idk how theyd handle. like i said if i can get a realitivly cheap set of heads here i will but new twisted wedge heads are outta the equation lol

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Well, if you feel that getting more pieces is getting more done towards your goal, even if the outcome is less effective, it is your money :)

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i guess that might have to be my path unfortunately. id only like to do it once but i dont know lol. to be honest i might just save and do everything but engine. nothin like a 14 sec 8.50 cert car lmaoo

Well, if you feel that getting more pieces is getting more done towards your goal, even if the outcome is less effective, it is your money :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts