1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this too much for a relatively stock motor (1995 GT):

+

+

Flowmaster 2 chambers and GT tails / flows.

I'll have it installed Wednesday, but I want to make sure I am not hurting the car more than helping it. The motor is relatively stock, and the x-pipe appears to be 2.5" (yup, just measured it).

When I went offroad H and flowpaths on the 6, it seemed to lose quite a bit of bottom end, and I could never tell if any +/- change in topend HP. Was loud as hell though.

My next thing is how to delete the EGR. I can make a plate I guess, but then, will it throw a code? The sixer required a chip for that kind of deal.

Finally, there is no provision for an airtube. What the hell does the smog pump do, and what can I do about this pipe not having provisions for it?

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
what brand is the stuff? i would have thought it would have had an EGR and an Air tube provision. it might be a little much for a stock car, but if it is you won't notice and i would expect you would gain at least a little. there is a plate that is for some kind of delete on an old cleveland block that fits the EGR perfectly, i don't remember what exact part it's call, but do a search, you'll also probably find some delete kits that corralers made when you search. basically it's just block of the connection on the intake and plug the header(if you need to) and then you have to take the actual EGR unit apart and set it up so the plunger is half way depressed(you won't get a code that way). i have no idea what to do about the air tube though

·
Registered
906 Posts
No, that will be fine for a 5.0. I did the same thing with my V6 when I had it and it did loose a lot down low. I don't see why you would want to delete the EGR. Your going to have to get a chip or custom tuning device to keep the check engine light from coming on. There are plenty of threads on deleting the smog pump, but to get the jist...

Cap the plug going to the back of the passanger side head.
Cap the two vacuum lines.
Run a shorter belt to bypass the smog.
Remove the smog pump.

Jake

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can uncap the header. So I can reuse EGR. In the V6 it removed a lot of clutter in the bay and allowed me to use a custom coil pack mount (I did a split port conversion, and did not want to mount the coilpck on the upper, I just wanted to leave it in stock 94-98 form)

Does anyone know what belt to bypass the pump?

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
if you do what i said in my earlier post and keep that thingy pressed in half way you won't have a check engine light and you won't need a chip

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did a search and read about an electrical EGR elimator (any part of the EEC can be spoofed given the right voltage :) ). If I can find one of those, I guess I'll delete, or if I can't get that header cap off, I'll do the half plunger thing

·
Registered
490 Posts
When I did my exhaust I put on BBK LTs and a Dr. Gas offroad X-pipe. I already had a Dynomax catback on. Below 2000 rpm there was a noticable power loss, but above that the power increase only grew as the rpms grew. The car no longer hit a brick wall at 4600 rpm and revs pretty good to slightly over 5k. The main part was the sound though, above 4k it just screams, I love it.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
I have underdrives with no smog. I just bought a 88.2, so we'll find out tomorrow if it works. With belt sizes, you have to say if you have them or not.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well, I am just assuming I can cruise into Autozone and ask for a belt. I just hae to figure out what though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts