Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back from FFW Richmond this weekend and I had a pretty interesting weekend. Throughout the week I thrashed to get my fire system in and exhaust on to run FFW Renegade. This was my first outting ever trying to run a heads up class.

Virginia Motorsport Park never seems to give me much luck. It rained (as it did last year) most of Friday and on and off Saturday and I only was able to get 3 passes in on those days. Each time a different blower tube came off. I would fix one area and then another tube would pop off. It sounds easy right? Simply join the tubes with heim joints and its solved. Well not necessarily. I qualified with a 19.0 time slip as a tube popped off right on the brake. It got the point that I was using 2 T bolt clamps on every connection (where possible) and I JB welded the one pipe that comes through the firewall. You might be saying just use heim joins and aluminum rods on all connections. I have them on most, but the ones through the firewall can't because the firewall has to be completely sealed (per the rules). I could have designed it better but thats all an after thought.

Sunday Morning finally showed some promise. In morning TNT it went [email protected] blowing the tube off at 3/4 track. This was the furtherest I went all weekend without it blowing off right away. This particular tube simply had too short of a sleeve on it. I put a longer silicone hose on it and went to first round eliminations. I went up against Ron Wilson who qualified with a 8.57. He red lite and I went a [email protected] mph short shifting at 8100. So it had a [email protected] in it if I knew how to drive :D

I couldn't go to round 2 because the cog belt had a nick in it before that pass and it was pretty frayed after that pass. It wouldn't have lasted the next round in the condition it was in and I didnt have enough time to change belts (2 hour job on this setup). So we packed it up and went home.

A couple things about the car. It appears the converter is still too loose. It just wants to blow through it. It's also slipping 550 rpms through the traps indicating it needs tightened up. With the right converter I feel it can go a 8.27/[email protected] without any problems. I'm going to run it as is for the next race (Norwalk) and then switch converters. After that I'm going to try a different cog pulley and try to get as deep into the 8's as possible before the year is over.

I'll put up video later on when I get a chance.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I also just wanted to make a quick thank you to Reggie Burnette for lending me "SO" many things this weekend. I was really under prepared to dive into as much as I did and without Reggie's help I would have ran a best of 19.9 and packed it up.

Thanks also to Randy Haywood for his help as well.

FFW racers/people are the best without a doubt.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts