Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After Completely destroying the entire clutch assembly im looking into buying a new clutch, but im not sure which one to buy. my 92' GT is basically stock and im looking for something thats not too pricey but is still good. I heard that the Cobra clutches were good......any suggestions. thanks

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
spec stage I or II.both sfi approved.you hardly,if ever have anyone complaining about these kits being junk or not doing their job.i've used the king cobra kit,3000 mile and a new bellhousing.will never buy that P.O.S again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
SPEC!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What kinda prices do the Spec clutches go for, and do i need a new fly wheel? Also where can i get them?

·
Registered
6,862 Posts
WHat about for a blower car? Would the spec II hold up well? I had a centerforce that lasted 7 yrs, was thinking about buying that one again.

·
RobKong
1,118 Posts
Moving to the correct forum.

Please keep the 5.0/5.8 Engine Tech Forum limited to engine related topics...

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
FMS clutches....

i've used the king cobra kit,3000 mile and a new bellhousing.will never buy that P.O.S again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
???... Hmmm... That's the first time I've heard the Cobra clutch referred to as a P.O.S.??

Since you said your car is mostly stock - I'd throw in a recommendation for one of the FMS kits. I haven't used the King Cobra, but my stock Ford clutch lasted 203,000 miles - and my current FMS heavy duty clutch/pressure plate has been in for over 60,000 miles and I love it. (You can get this kit from Summit for $160.)

I not trying to talk you out of the Spec - I don't know anything about them - I just know for my daily driver with bolt-ons, I'd buy the FMS HD setup again in a hoof-beat. (Unless it comes apart tomorrow. :) ) Good luck! Mark

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
spec for sure. my stage 1 holds my blown cars power nicely.

take care,
adam

·
Registered
286 Posts
You can see what kind of power in lay down in my sig...the big portion of that is the RWTQ...I personally use the King Cobra clutch kit and really like it....if I were to upgrade later to a blower or a built bottom end I would probably go with a SPEC Stage II.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I would say if your planning on keeping the car mostly stock a Cobra clutch will work fine, that's what they were intended to be used for. But, if you'r going to go a little mroe radical in the future you should try avoid back-tracking and get something good. I just installed a SPEC stage III and it grabs like CRAZY, but I think the stage II would work fine for you.

·
Registered
6,862 Posts
SO what makes the SPEC so much better than the others? Is it made of Kevlar?

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
originally posted by Mark Harrell
and my current FMS heavy duty clutch/pressure plate has been in for over 60,000 miles and I love it. (You can get this kit from Summit for $160.)
I've got the FMS clutch as well and it has about 7-8K miles on it. 75% of it highway, though. The instructions said the chatter would go away in about 500 miles and it decreased quite a bit but is still there. Do you have any chatter? I had my flywheel resurfaced and was meticulous with the install so I know no oil got on any friction surface.

The chatter does seem to be decreasing all the time (so I want to believe!) but it seems like it's going to take another 10K miles or so :eek:!

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
QTRMILE said:
Moving to the correct forum.

Please keep the 5.0/5.8 Engine Tech Forum limited to engine related topics...
This is under General Tech, not 5.0/5.8 Engine Tech.....how is it the wrong forum?

I think for a stock 5.0 the Ford Motorsport HD clutch is a great way to go. I got mine through summit for $160 I think?

-Rob-
:confused:

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
dannyUAL - I had some very slight chatter for several hundred miles, but it completely went away. Like you, I had the FW resurfaced. You said you do mostly highway driving - Maybe that's why it's taking so much longer for the new surfaces to mate correctly. Launch it hard a few times... maybe that'll help! Mark

·
Registered
6,862 Posts
ttt

·
Registered
149 Posts
Steeda90GT said:
SO what makes the SPEC so much better than the others? Is it made of Kevlar?
I was looking at the stage III and it is offered in Kevlar and Ceramic. It was recommended to me to go with the kevlar for more streetablity.

Dave

1 - 18 of 18 Posts