Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Clutch C-6 trans info for BB/SB Fords

seen Winters has some info on these auto clutch conversion kits online so I called them to find out whats up. I was told by guy in charge there Charlie Castle that Winters/Maverick has the org info/blueprints on cad file which originally made these trans components and also supplied Fairbanks, B&M and Others. They are thinking to make new updated versions of these auto clutches again now so they put the info online to gauge interest in them, the last time i remember seeing these kits advertised in the mags was around the mid/late 90's-about 10 yrs ago. Was told that if they start building these again that they are planning to redevelop/update some components to make them better with modern materials/tech. He made no promises about making ford kits again but did say it is important to get input from people that maybe interested.

when i phoned about the Clutch C-6 kit i was told that the new suggested kit price will be $800/$900 dollars with manuals on how to do the conversion (kits were around $500/600? before). Winters has a Ford big block and small block Clutch C-6 kit listed The kits are designed to mount over the front pump and then bolt a scatter shield to it. think with the newer/better clutch tech and todays hyd linkage kits it would be even easier to set these up. If any guys have interest in a Clutch C-6 kit I would suggest letting the people at Winters/Maverick know about it.

This is off the Winters/Maverick web site... clutch C-6 kit...

http://www.wintersperformance.com/Automatic Transmission Catalog.pdf

The Ford Clutch C-6 kit wasint as well known to some as the other version auto clutches because some mistakenly called it a "Clutchflite C6" which confused some guys into thinking it was a mopar trans and also the clutched C6 was not as well known because it did Not "Blow Up" like the Clutch Flite 727/Clutch Hydro 400 did at times as Fords factory C6 case/design is Superior in Strength to the 727/400.
These auto clutches were also nicknamed/called a "poor mans lenco".

Clutch C-6

Clutch Flite

Clutch Hydro

the Clutch C-6, Clutch Flite and Clutch Hydro are designed to be used with long style clutches for driving the front pump.

Attachments

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Winters/B&M/Fairbanks Ford Clutch C-6

some more info about the Ford C6 trans clutch version for those that dont know, the Ford funny cars were the FIRST! to get into to 7's (Grove was doing low 7's) with the clutch C6 in the 60's...

Ronda was doing mid 7's in 60's, Fords C6 trans case could and was handling 1500HP back in the 60's with with less problems holding big hp then the th400 and 727. The Lenco design idea also came from these old auto clutch conversions.

The C6 is a Tough SOB which has been thrashed and bashed in 10,000Lib 572ci 1500HP blown monster trucks since there inception.

Team Bigfoot

SNAKE BITE

with todays upgrade parts the Ford C6 trans has no problems handling over 1000+ ft-lb of torque...

Ford C6 Competition Components

C6 | Ford Products | TCS Performance Products

some more detail pics of my B&M Clutch C-6 version which is a bit different from Winters earlier version...

getting rid of the converter with the clutch conversion also helped the C6 trans run much cooler-lasting longer,
a trick old Petersens Winters Clutch C-6 conversion mag build article...

also been trying to find an old Winters Clutch C-6 version for a while now... anyone out there got one to sell???

Winters/B&M/Fairbanks also had a trick 1/2" steel c6 pan girdle for clutch mod before there were cast alum pans...

Attachments

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
CLUTCH C-6

man, forgot about this thread till now because of this weeks BS th400 chevtard propaganda thread lol, Winters (and others) have been making/selling new version 400 Clutch Hydro kits and some Clutch Flite parts for a while again but sadly never did make new Clutch C-6 kits last i checked, also just came across a neat vid of Ongias M/T 1500HP C6 Trans F/C doing ... high 6's in late 60's with it...

a great classic vid clip...

[ame]https://youtu.be/eVQdN90ugJk?t=13[/ame]

FACT! .................................................. :evilgrin: ... 6.90's with a Factory Ford C6 Trans case ... :evilgrin: ........... ............................ in 1969!

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
just found some neat old pics of early/first Prototype Clutch C6 Ford version which first tested/used the factory bell housing with a short cut tail shaft, im sure these Must have really confused guys that didnt know/realize what they were looking at, at the time.

Fact is, the FORD C6 was the Strongest/Best trans for a clutch c6 conversion but the least known today of the 3 versions because it did NOT blow up like the clutch turbo & clutch flite did at times.

>Clutch C6 Prototype<

also a early stock bell housing 727 clutchflite version for comparision...

you can see from the factory bell housings how the first/early clutched C6 prototypes would of confused/mixed up some guys about how the Weaker mopar "torqboom 727" clutchflite trans was being used on a Ford

Attachments

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Attachments

·
Registered
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
lol, its more like...

Live on the bullet, die by the turbo 400.
turbogoboom!

turbogoboom!

turbogoboom!

turbogoboom!

turbogoboom!

turbogoboom!

turbogoboom!

..... & .....

turbogoboom

better to stay with Fords superior strength 1500HP+ C6 trans...

> Ford C6 Transmission Upgrades - Built Tough - Modified Mustangs & Fords Magazine <

> http://www.hotrod.com/articles/0911rc-ford-automatic-transmission/ <

for the Ford fans out there... there is too much false Bullshat propaganda on some forums by chevlamists about the C6...

FACT, the ford C6 is lighter than gm's th400

FACT, the ford C6 case is stronger than gm's th400

FACT, the ford C6 trans can handle more power than gm's th400

FACT, the ford C6 with todays upgrades/rollerizing does NOT use up anymore HP than gm's th400

>Roller C6 Is it worth it?<

>Rollerizing a C6 Trans<

>C-6 Transmission I.D. and rebuild questions<

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
The whole th400 thing got blown out of proportion back in the early 2000s. The way it started was a man by the name of Johm Kilgore (best I remember) was one of the first to completely redesign the internals of a th400 to be super efficient with lightweight drums and no counter rotating parts that rob horsepower like normal automatics have. People were buying these $5000+ transmissions and using them in some n/a classes and seeing huge drops in e.t. But you better had a huge budget to own one.

When the average budget racer asked one of these unlimited budget racers what kind of transmission he was using, he simply replied "th400" not mentioning that it had nothing in common with a stock th400. Now, the average racer heads straight for the junk yard to find himself a th400 to build not knowing that the th400 he is about to waste his money on has absolutely nothing in common with the th400 that was in the race car he saw at the track. That's how it all got started. I remember seeing people on this site start threads about removing their C6 or c4 for a th400. I would hate to be the one receiving that disappointing time slip when they took it to the track after the swap and it made no difference, or slowed down in the case of a c4 to th400 swap.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts