Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 99GT brakes are gone. I was thinking instead of putting in new Ford OEM rotors/pads perhaps an upgrade is in order. Can you guys recommend a rotor/pad set that isn't too pricy and worth getting. Also, I assume install is easy, same as stock.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
one more thing...headlights

forgot to ask, i'd like to swap out the stock headlights with the smoked ones that the newer GT's have. what is the best palce to get them?

·
Registered
29 Posts
In the past, I have used the Performance Friction pads from AutoZone that have a lifetime warranty. They are not too bad, and I have gotten several sets of pads on that warranty from one single $60 purchase.

I really like Porterfield R4-S for street use, with the occasional track day thrown in. They are a bit more pricy, though.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I just upgraded my GT brakes to the larger OEM brakes of a cobra. It was about 800$ to buy everything and have it shipped.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I have Baer crossdrilled/slotted rotors and I like them. Nice nickel finish so they don't rust and they dont heat up as bad. They cost me about $250 on e-bay for all four. That being said, if you can swing the cash go for the cobra brake kit. it will be worth it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
The only difference between the cobra and bullit is how the calipers look. The cobra ones are black and they say cobra, and the bullit ones are red and have a white pony on them.

The front is a direct swap, however if you upgrade the rears you will need to pull your axils off to attach a new mounting bracket for the rear calipers.

Jeremy

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
is there a noticeable difference over the stock GT brakes? the reason i ask is i test drove two 01 cobra's this weekend and was not pleased with the brakes. both were low mileage cars. I'm somewhat spolied by my BMW's brakes which are insanely strong!

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
You have a few options -
#1) New pads ($60) and rotors ($66 ea from the Tirerack.com (Brembos)) = $200

#2) Buy new Cobra Calipers ($200, pads included) and rotors ($62 ea, tirerack.com) = $340(ish) then sell your GT stuff for $100 to a Foxbody / Cobra kit car guy. = $240

In any case, CHANGE YOUR BRAKE FLUID. As it gets older, it asorbs water and boils easier.

·
Registered
468 Posts
wickedtama: "Is there a noticeable difference over the stock GT brakes?"

I just finished a Cobra brake upgrade (F & R) on my '98 GT &, IMHO, it is a very noticable change to the good. However, I also changed out the brake m/cyl to the Cobra unit. I don't think that many guys do this, but I think that the smaller diameter of the Cobra m/cyl (25.4mm vs 27mm) makes for a firmer pedal.:joy:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts