Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 2.5 months of breakage, 1 axle tube, 1 slick, 2 pressure plates, 1 clutch, 2 throw out bearings and a clutch fork I finally got to make some passes down the track. Weather tonight although cool wasn't that good. Humidity was at 60% at the track when I arrived and was rising fast through out the night and temps were in the low 60's to upper 50's. Here are the results from tonight...

RT .540 .503 .540 .580
60 1.61 1.65 1.66 1.65
330 5.06 5.11 5.11 5.11
1/8 7.97 8.00 8.00 8.00
MPH 84.78 85.02 85.15 85.00
1000 10.47 10.49 10.48 10.49
1/4 12.57 12.58 12.58 12.59
MPH 107.19 107.75 107.55 107.41

Bolded numbers are all new bests for me, even the .503 on the .500 pro tree. You'll notice my MPH increased noticably after the first pass. This was due to me removing the headlight from the second pass on. First pass I went easy on the car and got my best 60 foot time the front end stayed glue to the track. Second pass I bogged from leaving at too low and RPM and both the third and fourth run I launched perfectly but the car pulled the wheels and slowed me down. I wish I had video of the third pass because it felt like both wheels carried a little bit! :nice:

All passes were made shifting at 5900 RPM in all gears with an 1/8 tank of gas. Not sure about race weight I didn't think about it till I was all packed up. All in all I'm pretty happy with the results, the car now has what I consider a pretty respecable MPH and pulls hard on the top end like it never has. I'm going to go back and compare averages but I believe I've gone from an average of 12.75 @ 105.5 to 12.58 @ 107.5 from the K-member and longtubes. I was a little disappointed at first with my times but then realized my best ET of 12.64 was far from a normal pass for me.

I'm going to do some tune up work on the car and take it back out a week from Saturday during slicks only night. I'm running on the same plugs now for over a year (28K miles) and a pretty old fuel filter. Also have some thinking to do about the suspension. Those last two passes when I launched higher RPM and the car pulled the wheels it obviously started to hurt my 60 foot times. I may try to limit the front suspension so it keeps the front end on the ground.

Bill

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Very nice times bill. That K member and those longtubes helped you out. As the car sits now do you think you can do anything to make it a little quicker? i.e. adjust suspension, or driving technique. Roughly what does the car weigh.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
excellent, excellent time Bill. basically what you ran is my goal for '03. i need TONS of practice though. anyways, congrats on the new bests and keep representing for us 4.6 2v cars. :D

marcus

·
Registered
564 Posts
Not bad, Bill, looks like a solid 2 tenths so far. Now it is time for those cams that "sound fast" !
Bob

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Great Job...

....Bill !!
with thoes 60fts it seems your car is working real well(1.61/1.64
is where Iam at with mine).....like Bob said with the cams it should FLY in high gear:)

keep "hammering" on it !
Randy (snow-bound) Stinchcomb

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Great going Bill now get those heads off there and put a real top on that motor and see what you can do with it. Keep it up.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Don't make me try to find the old GT Bill. Dayum! Congrats on the times, the car is really haulin.

joe

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
great job, I think your car is doing quite amazing and your in FL. Looks like the car as a top end charge now from the LT's. So you think your gonna put front suspension travel restriction chains on?

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Juiced46, the car roughly weighs 3250lbs I'll weigh it next week for sure to be exact. As for more things yes there are a couple little things I can do but nothing to get me into the 11's at least not any time soon. I want to do the tune up stuff by next Saturday and play with suspension some. I feel the car is good for a best of a 12.49-12.50. I may try to go with a dual MSD set up so I can get my two step that I desperate need but don't expect much of anything power wise with that just consistency on the launch. Cams are a possiblity as well and weigh reduction. This car will no longer be my daily driver in March so A/C, power steering and anything not necessary to get down the track is gone. I want the car to weigh in at 3150lbs with a full chromoly cage and believe I can get it there.

Boss96, I'll take the HP over the sound any day but the sound wouldn't be a bad thing that is for sure. :D

ROG30Y, :D I do!

Joe, come on go find the car and dig it out of retirement!

vrtical, not 100% sure I'm going to do just yet. Still looking for suggestions. I'm going to check pinion angle this weekend and mess with air bag pressure to see what happens. Next Saturday is slicks only night and there are usually only about 30-40 cars so I'll be able to take my time adjusting and trying different things and still get in tons of passes. A buddy of mine has a few parts I may try out as well (Throttle body and Pro-M).

Thanks everyone!

Bill

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Great job Bill, seems like your car should weigh less than it does.

I just got my car weighed on a very accurate 4 corner scale and it came in at 3314. I have no idea what you weigh(I'm about 185), but that's only ~60lbs. heavier than you. My weight is with my 18" BBS wheels and my heavy ass Cobra hood. I guess the intake sets you back a bit but I would have guessed you'd be down near 3200lbs or less. Either way, great job!

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Awesome times, Bill! You're driving the shiit out of that car!! And, with 94K miles... jeez...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts