Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a new steel bearing retainer from MM, which arrived this afternoon. When I pulled it out of the box, I noticed a number of hairline cracks in the aluminum flange. Anyone ever seen this before? Did I get a faulty part, or is this okay? I've posted some pictures (fairly big, 900K/each) at this URL:

http://stults.com/retainer/

Here are some cropped versions for quicker viewing:

This could put a crimp in my plans to change out my clutch this weekend... which is bad -- it's howling, chattering, ticking, and generally making itself a nuisance!

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
90 Posts
On the top pic, is that the crack going down the outside edge of the bolt hole? Can you see it on the other side?

If so, that is bad.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gregg90LX said:
On the top pic, is that the crack going down the outside edge of the bolt hole? Can you see it on the other side?
No -- although it looks related, the mark on the edge is definitely just on the surface. Looks like metal-to-metal contact with something else.

The cracks I'm worried about can actually be felt with a fingertip, but that does not necessarily mean they go deep. I do notice that none of the machined surfaces show any marks, and a friend suggested that it may just be casting imperfections, which are 100% normal (but I'm not an expert, which is why I'm asking :)).

Either way, I guess I'll give MM a call tomorrow and run it past them. I've always been very happy with MM in the past, and I believe that they would not have sent this out if it didn't meet their quality control, so I'm not too worried just yet. Worst case, it's just a delay in my plans.

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
Keep us posted on what they say, because the one I got from Hanlon was similar but not as severe and I am using it with no problems so far.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's fine

I talked with MM today, and found out that it's normal. The cracks are apparently just at the surface, and they're only visible at all because the casting hasn't been machined in those places. The guy I talked to also verified that every other bearing retainer in stock looks exactly the same.

Dave

1 - 5 of 5 Posts