Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just changed my balancer (FMS-M-6316-M50) because my engine was running a little rough and was making a slight "rattling" noise at around 4K. I didn't know whether it would make a difference, but it was cheap, easy, and probably a good idea given the mileage (115K).

The rubber seal on the old one had started to come out one one side, but hadn't come out yet. Clearly, it was on the path to self destruction.

When I put on the new one, I could tell a small improvement at idle. I checked the timing. It was steady at 14* BTDC before and steady at 15* after the change (I had NOT moved the distributor, but I did change the timing pointer to the one that came with the balancer). I left the timing for the test drive.

The test drive showed a NOTICABLE improvement in throttle response and a dramatic reduction in the rattle at 4K.

My question is whether I can make any conclusions about the inside of the engine based on the condition of the balancer. I know a bad balancer is hard on the bearings, but is there any chance that I caught it in time to have prevented any major damage? Anything else I should look at?

My goal is still to replace the engine with a stroker, but I'd like this engine to hang in there until I get the suspension and rear end up to par. Anything I can deduce about the engine will help me prioritize my other work.

Thanks!

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
BTW, I changed the idler pulley while I was at it.

I'd still like to know if anyone has opinions on what the condition of the bearings, etc. is likely to be given that the old balancer was going out.

Thanks!

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you have a high mileage engine and the balancer is original, you might consider changing it. Only $75.69 at Summit, and took about an hour to change.

The ride to work this morning was much more fun than before the new balancer. The engine is smoother from idle to redline, and has more power above 4500 than it did. It is easier to take off from a stop without jerking the engine, and it sounds so much better.

·
Registered
179 Posts
sounds like it was worth it. I guess if it does not blow up on you it should be fine:p if it did any real damage you would probably know about it and you are going to replace it anyway so I say use it up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts